The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and a first time gun owner. I inherited a 38 caliber, 5 shot break top(? barrel & cylinder break away from the hammer & grip on top and little fingers push bullets out) handgun. It has no identifying marks, although I haven't felt comfortable to unscrew and look under the grip, and is made of what appears to be chrome and brass. The handle may be bekalite or plastic dark brown in color. I've known this gun has been been around for at least 40 plus years. It is in working conditioI am interested in make and value.
Thanks for the help.
Resa

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Welcome Resa,

Those old top-break revolvers were made by many companies.

Smith and Wesson made them in various calibers: .32 S&W, .38 S&W, etc.
Harrington and Richardson also made them in different calibers.

Both of these companies put their names on them. H&R put their information along the top of the barrel - small print.

Hopefully one of our experts will come along and recognize the pattern on the grip. It does not match the grip on my H&R.

Can you get a more clear picture of the grip? Also, is there any writing on the top of the barrel.

IF you decide to look under the grip panels just remove the screw about a quarter inch and then push on it to remove the other side. Then "gentle" tap the back of the other grip to get it off. Some of the old "bakelite", "plastic", whatever grips get a little brittle after 80 - 100 years!!

· Banned
5,425 Posts
It's difficult to tell Resa who made it. Iver Johnson also made them as did a host of other companies. Usually the barrels were stamped with caliber and manufacturer info (and patent dates). Is there a serial number? There may be one on the underside of the trigger guard and / or under the grips.

If it's a .38 then it will be the .38 S&W cartridge. Keep in mind that it 'may' be a black powder pistol so it would not be safe to fire smokeless cartridges with it.

· Registered
3,634 Posts
Your photos are too blurry and dark to show detail needed. Use your camera's MACRO setting or borrow one that has same, and take them outside in natural light in a shaded area.

While it could be the photos, the area around screw holes appears "dished" which suggests it has been polished and refinished, and that might account for lack of markings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.