The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The other day, I got an unknown large magazine for autocannon or something.
DSC09321.JPG

Judging from its size, it seems to be for 20mm class ammunition.

DSC09316.JPG

DSC09324.JPG

Although it does not accommodate US 20×102mm ammunition, length of the magazine lip is almost same as that of the ammunition.

DSC09320.JPG

The magazine has capacity indicator holes and can be loaded with eight rounds.

DSC09313.JPG

The most important clue for identification would be a small “Mauser” logo.
So, the magazine should have been used with some type of German Mauser autocannon.

However, I’m even not sure whether the magazine is WW2 or post-war one…
Does someone have any information on this magazine?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
no help here but I did find this.. "The 10.75x68 represents the largest Mauser factory cartridge available in a standard an unaltered action." This has the magazine with the hinged floorplate,
anything bigger seems to be mounted on aircraft and are belt fed.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Obviously 20mm, military and Mauser-made... Never saw one like it before. What ever it is, it has lots of use marks. The aluminum case seems to bear marks from being loaded into a link/belt.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
That one is a head scratcher. Just because a 20mm fits in it, doesn't mean it is one. Being single stack and only 8 rounds, I'm leaning to something more anti-tank, and something like the 7.92x94 ATR.
Mauser made parts and magazines for weapons captured in other countries too. They found the Polish ATR's were better than what they were using, and quickly adapted.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I think Trap is right-it's for one of the early Mauser anti tank rifles

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Had a brain cell goofing off and forgot to add something. That magazine was most likely made pre-war being stamped with the Mauser banner. Once the war started, it would of had a two or three letter code for the factory it was made in, and a two digit number for the year.
I'm really curious what gun it goes to, I can't find anything German that's even close, ATR's or flak guns. It has characteristics of the Flak 30 and 38, but they were a double stack. Same with the Lahti and Swiss Solothurn, and the two smallest capacity mags in that class either held 5 or 10 rounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Given that the mag is single stack and has a lower capacity than typical autocannons, I too think it would be for German ATR.
It's also really interesting that it might have been manufactured by Mauser for use with ATRs captured.

I will continue to seek further info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts