The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It is GEW 88 (aka Commission 1888) or one of the later derivatives.
Does it have a tube around the barrel? (I can't see enough of the muzzle to tell.)
If it does it is a German Gew 88, if just a regular type barrel it is probably a Turkish variation.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Dang, it's a good thing you answered first, deadln. I thought it was an Italian Mannlicher-Carcano. Rifles are just not my thing.
:) That was my "first glance" guess too---Carcano. Glad someone here is
more observant. Might be because lately it seems that every other
"what is it" post is either a Carcano or Arisaka.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I did a little research and if your rifle doesn't have any markings it's very possible that it could be a Hunyaug 88, a Chinese copy of the German GEW 88.
The Hunyaug 88 was the first domestically produced modern rifle in China. It was chambered in 8x57 and did not use the barrel jacket as on the German version. Some were marked with Chinese characters and some were not.

(I was working from memory in my earlier post and now I think I may have confused the Turks with the Chinese as to the later variants....)

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
All German Model 1888's were clearly marked, though the markings might have been removed. And the Turks never made any Model 88's or any Mauser rifles, though they modified many; all their rifles came from Europe.

If there are truly no markings or at least no Western markings, I agree it is probalby a Chinese copy of the Gewehr 1888, the "Hanyang" model. The handguard in the first picture pretty well confirms this as it could not be used with the barrel jacket.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are good. There is something on the gun. On the piece that lets the bolt to be removed there is a star stomped there. On the wood there is 1841 stamped and what looks like some chinese writing stamped below that. Is the gun worth anything? Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.