The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take a dove tail scope mount off a 1100 shotgun, 4 flathead screws are holding it on. I got 2 undone but the other 2 are really locktited on. Whats the best way of removing them? So far i haven't messed up the slot heads, but that could change if there is no other way of removing them.

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
Using a well-fitting screwdriver, try tightening the screw while tapping on the handle. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, and of course the screw won't tighten, but the shock is often enough to break the bond, and you can exert more force in a tightening motion than a loosening one. Failing that, I'd apply heat to the screw head with the tip of a soldering gun.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using a well-fitting screwdriver, try tightening the screw while tapping on the handle. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, and of course the screw won't tighten, but the shock is often enough to break the bond, and you can exert more force in a tightening motion than a loosening one. Failing that, I'd apply heat to the screw head with the tip of a soldering gun.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried tapping on the handle of a screw driver before, just forgot about it this time. I guess the hair dryer and sodering gun is a little less dramatic then using a propane torch. I feel better about trying them then setting something on fire. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
Just a last thought regarding the soldering gun approach. If the screws aren't in blind holes, you might consider removing the 1100's trigger/lifter group, bolt and follower fork etc., and seeing if you can get at the screws from below. Yes, I know, it'd be a royal pain-in-the-a$$, but you might be able to break or soften the locktite bond on the threads without actually having to heat (and possibly soften) the screw head.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Just a side note on the last post: You shouldnt lose temper on the screw head until 400 degrees from what I recall. I talked to a knife maker one time and I believe that is what he told me.

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
at work we use 4 sided screw driver tap down on it then put pressure on it while turning screw driver with wrench
Good point. I've done similar with the rifle action locked in the drillpress vise, well-fitted driver head in the chuck, and applying mucho downward pressure while manually rotating the chuck. With everything locked up solid, and the driver head absolutely perpendicular to the screw head, you've got a fighting chance. I HATE locktite!

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, i'll give some of these things a try tomorrow. It's not a pain to take it apart i had it stripped down last week checking everything over to get it ready to shoot some clays. Had the mag spring out (i'm still looking for the retainer cap) LOL, also had the butt stock return spring out to check it over. Everthing checked out okay. I didn't think to look at the screws that are holding the scope mount on. The 2 screws that i got out are the ones that are under the barrel extension.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Good point. I've done similar with the rifle action locked in the drillpress vise, well-fitted driver head in the chuck, and applying mucho downward pressure while manually rotating the chuck. With everything locked up solid, and the driver head absolutely perpendicular to the screw head, you've got a fighting chance. I HATE locktite!
That is why I've gone to clear fingernail polish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.