The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father left me a Remington Rand 1911 AI. I appears that the gun was not given a factory serial number; it may have been a "lunch box", experimental or presentation gun. Nevertheless, their was a clear attempt to "legitimize" the gun: specifically, the number NJ2218487 appears on one side of the slide and No. 2201 appears on the other side (both were clearly added after-the fact). Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The gun clearly has a serial number. It's just a bad stamping. The number is original to the gun.
It's not a "lunch box, presentation, experimental" anything.
Don't know about the "NJ" number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RR 1911A1 Serial Numbers.jpg
Thanks for responding. The number on the right side of the slide is too low to be a factory serial number (moreover, the quality is horrible!), see the attached list.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Then, it's not a Remington Rand frame. Parts were often mixed.
In addition there have been quite a few aftermarket frames made for the 1911-as well as "80%" frames.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Bill is on the mark, there has only been a couple of lunch box guns ever reported, Lunch box guns were made from rejected parts. The reject ( Trash ) parts were nor controlled as tightly as the other correct parts. What worker would risk a good paying job for a junk gun??? .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note also that there are no inspection markings on the gun. In addition, the barrel was produced by the Springfield Armory as the letters "s" and "p" appear on the hinge.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
If you zoom on the 2211,it's an obvious overstamp of the same numbers-which look just as poorly stamped as the overstamp.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
View attachment 152840 Thanks for responding. The number on the right side of the slide is too low to be a factory serial number (moreover, the quality is horrible!), see the attached list.
I recovered a 1911a1 from a felon during his arrest for other crimes, the pistol had the serial number removed. I sent the pistol to state dept of justice too see if it could be raised, failing to do this they stamped a distinct serial on it before returning it to the dept. At that time the court upon conclusion of a case could issue an order for the pistol to be given to an officer for use with his duties. I obtained the 1911 with a s/n prefix of CII———— in that manner. I later returned the pistol to police archives for a wall display

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for responding! ATF/NICS ran a check on the gun and reported that it had never been used in the commision of a crime.

That the gun has a factory rolled "No." but serial No. or proof marks suggests that it was "taken" just prior to inspection. Worth noting is that the components of the gun are correct for a 1943 RR (e.g., magazine, barrel, slide markings, thumb safety, slide stop and hammer ingravings), etc).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts