The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow hunters shooters , Just wanted to say hello it's been a while . Mother was diagnosed Feb 3rd with Lung cancer we later found out it had moved to her brain and that her own immunity system was attacking her central nervous system and that the damage was not reversable thats when she choose not to fight it anymore . All I could do was honor my mothers wishes hospice was called in and she went home from hospital March the 8th . April the 19 th mother passed .It was a bitter sweet thing .I was at her side everyday 8-10 hours . And for the first time I said you know i'm glad i'm a para SCI cord injuried , colon cancer survivor person because I was able to be there for mom and me.
Me and mother discussed alot of things in our short time . 1 thing we discussed was her Black Lab puppy she wanted me to take this dog home with me . She asked me to hunt it and that she had picked this 1 out just for me . Mother raised Labador retrievers and she could pick and tell which 1's would do what . Well I came home and told the Mrs a new member of the family was going to be comming here soon .Was she happy????? .But she understands now why it wasnt a discussion matter as far as I was concerned.
So now my time is being spent bonding and working with my lab hunting partner . He is very smart I have taught him to set, heel ,stay down for 30 minutes and i'm working on the sit for extended times its hard because while i'm moving back I'm useing my arms to roll back and it distracts him . He has a great nose ,very alert but gental . He is from English stock and he is like a train when we retrive with the throwing dummies. Yes I'm looking forward to Dove Season this Sept.Pictures will be up as soon as I learn this new camera and computer.

Jim:D

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Okay, times up. Where are the pics? :D

I hunted all last season with a modified choke in my 11-87 20ga. This year I have a skeet choke and plan to kick butt.

Here are my three sons and Ms. Daisy (may she rest in peace) after one of our usual dove hunts.

My eldest has a new yellow lab, Ms. Sandy. She is a English lab and nice small size, but a bundle of energy.

keep us posted.

fred

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like you had a good day . We grew 17 acres of a hybrid sunflowers for a few years before the cost of corn and soybeans made it where we couldn't compete . We would have our limits in less than a hour and 40 shooters would get their limits before leaving .Limit is or was last year 15 birds in Virginia . I just talked to neighbor about buying and acre of corn this year depends on how the season goes acre could go 1000 + depends yield . I'm trying to load a picture of my pup he just turned a year old on the 6 th of June .He has a great nose and is very smart . I'll get better pictures once I learn this new computer . i know it's hazy

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Little better picture We have had shoots that we used 410 only and averaged under 20 shells for a limit . I about fell in the floor a few years ago my partners cousin was hunting with us and he came up braggin that he only shot 18 times for his 15 limit .We both just smiled and said good shooting we had just finished with 15 birds each and only shot 17 times with the 410 . I hope the price of corn and beans will go down again I never thought I would see the day we could not afford to pay for hunting property and 1 of the best things about it was everything was less than 400 yards from my driveway .We use a hybrid sunflower the boys in this Dove club go to SD every year to pheasant hunt they found a sunflower out there that only grows 3 -4 ft tall ,huge heads with plenty of seeds and very large stalks .They seem to do very well in central VA .And we allow enought money to spary with roundup if alot of weeds .After doing this for 10 + years we have learned what is needed to bring in the birds we will have birds when no one else does.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Sorry for you loss Kid. My mother went in about the same manner many years ago. Glad you got the dog though, it will be a companion for many years, and a reminder of your mother. A neighbor is putting is some stock ponds right across the road from me. Might not bring in the birds this year, but next year should prove to very good dove hunting. Stand between my pond, and his, right in the front yard. Should get a bunch in short order.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carver Thanks bud ,it was tough as i was moms boy her only son she told the wife to take care of her big boy . I was blessed with a great mother in my eyes she did NO wrong .she was diagnosed Feb 3rd looked healthy as a horse and was gone April the 19th .I spent every day with mom and made sure her wishes were met . Thank you.

Jim Wallace

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. Thankfully you were able to spend time with her.

As far as the dove hunting goes, we used to average 15 doves with 15 shots................per dove. :D It used to take us longer to pick up empties than it did to shoot the doves. I took a guest along once and he asked if I closed my eyes and used the "force". I used to hunt with a twice barreled shoot gun. Shot a dove so high in the sky he spoiled before he hit the ground. I hunt conservatively. Shoot and release. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jstgsn Thanks ,Yes I mantaged to get a few great shoots in and I'm hoping for more down the road .Between Dove Shooting and groundhog hunting that raps me up . I noticed you were from Delaware .Years ago we went up there for a Nascar race and found ourselfs in a Dove field . Now that I've slowed down with Skeet and Trap Dove is about the only shotgun sport I do any more . I'm in central Virginia and if we can ever afford to rent land anymore I'll invite you down .I always enjoy a good hunt. 15 for 15 thats some damn good shooting unless you are shooting off a wire or a tree branch those type leave and arent welcomed back . i was up threw your state a few months ago I went to the Krieghoff place up in Ottsville PA . I'll shoot you a private message

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Jim, don't disparage those of us who would shoot a dove off a limb, fence row, or high line. I grew up hunting, and what I shot, we ate. I still hunt that way today. For folks like me hunting is not a sport, it's a way to put meat on the table. We are not politically correct! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Carver i hear ya . I hunted this year with the Turkey Federation on a couple of Dove shoots .I rememeber it was hotter than a pole cat on a hot tin roof .Noon came around and the chair boys were loaded up and rushed to their stands .Me and my partner figured the birds wouldnt start flying until later .We stayed inside cool until we saw shade on the back side of the barn then we worked ourselves out of the barn but not leaving the shaded area . I was watching a chair shooter he was 1 stand down from me he was in the fly way and the Doves would come and land on the power line then he would shoot them .After watching in disbelief I hoared down saying hey dont shoot them on the line .So he waited until they were about a foot from landing and shot them . Later that evening he was rolling around like a rooster chest perked out all i could do was not to spoil his day and i keep my mouth shut .This shoot was put on by Wheeling Sportsman And while i have never been to South America to Dove hunt this hunt was about the best of any hunt minus the birds wherent in large numbers .This shoot topped all shoots for the way it was ran and the hog cooking ,favorite cold drinks an fine cigars afterwards. If any get a chance to hunt Sabine Hall Plantation do it .

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Dove hunting is a huge business here in TX, mostly to the South of me, and out in the Western parts of the state. Google Dove Hunting in Texas! It's been years since I shot any doves, I don't have the money to buy into a lease, and there simply is no public land near me that I could hunt. I have a bird feeder in the yard, and the doves come to it just like the other birds do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carver, I've heard aboutthe Doves down your way . I have some friends that still shoot registered skeet and they shoot skeet at San Antanio .Some of these guys I've heard talk about Dove hunting yall have more different types of Doves as well . I've been lucky enough to be able to join a few Dove clubs in my time .And I dont mind paying dues if its a good hunt or at least 3 or 4 good hunts .Is about all we get . 3 or 4 years ago we had 2 acres of sunflowers we killed over 2,000 birds it was perfect , food , near the roost , water and so bare ground . You will catch me out there in the last season as well when the sun is coming up and the Doves are coming into feed they look like butterflies floating in.

Jim

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
The last time I went dove hunting I almost had to shoot a guy. These other folks were hunting on private land, and I was hunting on a bayou that ran outside the property. I had run into a 12, or 13 year old boy trying to hunt doves for the fist time, and we were doing all right for a while. Then came the trouble! A pick up drove up on the levee where we were. Two guys in the cab, and two in the back. They informed us that we could not hunt where we were hunting. I asked why not, it's public land isn't it? One of the guys in the back reached for his gun, but I already had him covered, because I knew what was coming. I simple told him that if he put his hand on that gun I would shoot him out of the truck. Keeping them covered I suggested that they leave. After they had drove away, the youngster I was with informed me that he thought the best thing for us to do was leave. I agreed with him, but had I been there alone I would have continued to hunt. I've been shot at before, and I've shot back! Just isn't worth the hassel anymore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch Carver ,

I'm running in to a few issues with 1 of my groundhog hunting land . Small club started out Deer Hunting only thinking they own the land we had grown sunflowers on this parcel and they thought they should beable to hunt it as well .then last year the club took in some new members and wanted to spring gobber hunt and again conflict .Farmer my neighbor has asked numerious times are they giving you any hassel .I just say no and go on . As he has said he would yank their lease in a heartbeat that the groundhogs do more harm than the deer anyway . What I have ran into is these guys are from Northern VA area and DC & Maryland area . And often we see that they come down and try to change everything . The guns havent come out yet but last year when I shoot that groundhog 385 yards with a head shot with the 6.5 x 284 loaded up hot it got their attention .They shortly gave up spring gobbler hunting that day .Last ive heard was now they are killing every groundhog they see hoping I will stop hunting there.

Jim W

1 - 14 of 14 Posts