The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember not to long ago my big brother woke me up at 8 am on a Saturday to ask me if I wanted some gun stuff. Well he bought me a bunch of things which he gave to me at my dads funeral. He said there is still a bankers box of stuff but he has no idea where his wife put it. Well he bought me a $10 "non- firing" gun. A Stevens model 87D semi auto. So when I finally got home around 9:30 that nite after having driven 546 miles. I of course tore the thing apart to see what the issue may be. issue #1 There was no safety. Issue #2 missing butt plate. Issue #3 No trigger guard. I know what your thinking Rick these thing will not cause it to not fire. But wait there's more. I open the bolt, slide an empty casing into the chamber, close the bolt and squeeze the trigger and a slow click as the firing pin finally slams forward. so I remove the bolt and EEWWww. It looked like the thing had been lubed with rod n reel grease and graphite. Did I mention the casing didn't eject. Issue #5 broken ejector, I think you already guessed #4. So after giving it a thorough cleaning I put the empty case back in, closed the bolt, squeezed the trigger and sharp quick snap of the firing. So now we know it will fire. while moving the gun around cleaning it etc. I noticed the lifter was just flopping about. Issue #6 Missing lifter spring. which brought me to Issue #7 Missing cartridge guide spring. So Online I went and a few days later my parts came. I put it all back together this morning, ok most the parts came I didn't order a trigger guard or butt plate.

·
Premium Member
19,657 Posts
Nice haul. Wish we had garage up here that sold that kind of stuff. I posted before that i asked my wife to be on the look out for reloading components, and she didn't have a clue what i was talking about. So i showed her what to look for. So far every garage she has been to she's asked the seller if they have any ammo or reloading stuff, and they all say the same thing "what's that?":(

·
TFF Chaplain
21,168 Posts
You have a good brother who knows what you want, and who knows where all the good garage sales are. Well done!!

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I found one of those Ideal loaders in .25-20 at a tourist trap shop in Florence Oregon, they wanted $25 for it, I thought about buying it but I ended up not getting it.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I found one of those Ideal loaders in .25-20 at a tourist trap shop in Florence Oregon, they wanted $25 for it, I thought about buying it but I ended up not getting it.
I gave 10 bucks for one at a flea market in 32-20 that was frozen. I got it freed up but the bullet mold was warped.:(

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
This one looked to be in very good condition and was still in it's original box but I didn't have a 25-20. I probably would have bought it anyway as my BIL had one, but I was a bit low on cash and had a choice of buying a gun toy and sleeping in the doghouse or taking Kathy out to dinner as planned and sleeping in a comfortable bed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like you quite a nice haul! Have fun and stay safe!

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I finally got to test fire the gun today after my "fixing" it. It still has a feed issue the first round feeds up sideways. After removing and slipping it into the chamber it runs flawlessly in semi auto.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If my brother had presented me with such a gift it would have included a bill for the parts and request to reimburse for the fuel expended going to the sale o_O

1 - 20 of 21 Posts