UPS Battery Backup Failure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drymag, Apr 19, 2017.

1. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only posting this in case some one else has a ups that has an old battery in it and have not replaced the battery.
    -
    I guess I could say I experienced a good thing.
    -
    I was at my desk when my screens blinked and the UPS alarm wouldn't stop it's continual sound. The backup kept power going. I didn't have a power failure. The price of a battery replacement is 1/2 the price of a new one. Since the ups is 7 years old, makes "cents" to get a new one as all the varistors and other surge thingy's are probably less than stellar by now. I was fortunate cause the battery was really hot, but no fire or explosion. No failures while I was on a trip or something. I was able to remove the battery and place it outside the house on some rocks until I find the proper way to dispose of it.
    -
    My ups was an APC model BE550G using a RBC battery. NOt sure what CS3 or LT/206 means, but it was on the battery.
    -
    I have used it as a backup to my pc that has it's battery removed and never had a hickup in power so the capacitor inside the ups did it's job on switch over. Especially since the ups waveforms is NOT sinusoidal. It has a total harmonic distortion of 45% and a max single harmonic of 35%. This is common (and sloppy) but they work ok like that. My home alarm system was on the system as well and works fine with it. It has it's own battery to smooth out the system from a non-sinusoidal waveform. I also have a Samsung desktop thin screen TV on it and it plays good as well. Even the Raspberry pi worked ok with it.
    -
    I've never had my other APC ups systems die on my before like this. They usually got to where the backup time of power shortened considerably. This failure raises a concern of possible fire if left in place while on vacation. I don't know, but just feel uneasy with this type of failure.

Guts3d likes this.
  2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

I have 2 UPS units, one for computers the other for protecting things like my TV and other electronics. I have had to change the batteries 2 times each. If I have to replace them again I will just get new UP units. Never had a fire problem with one.

Guts3d and drymag like this.

3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

A couple notes here, back in the days of Ferro.magnetic power supplies, squarish waveforms were mucho bad.

With most things running on triac based switching supplies, both frequency, waveform, and rms voltage needs are pretty huge in tolerance. Average good auto aware PC supply can handle 90vac to 260vac 50-60 hz.

Look at some of your USB wall chargers. Many say the same. My wife uses her USB charger with just an euro prong adapter when she travels. The switcher handles it fine. Fine print on the ul label confirms it.

Back when I had much less $, when a ups battery would die, and the replacement pack might be 55$, vs 85-95$ for a new one, I'd go buy the cheapest car , lawnmower, or motorcycle battery available, drill an access hop in the UPS case, and just extend the wires out. Back then, a lawnmower battery was 13$. Short of real discreet component failure, not counting replaceable devices like Nov, neon bulbs, etc, it was rare I tossed a ups. I have UPS running on gear on my farm that are 25ys old. Upsonic, apc, etc. All running on non OEM batteries. Either lead acid, or packs I've scrounged from other things. I have a big 1200w apc that will run many hours on a big 4DLT tractor battery ( load dependent of course ). I rarely fire a Genny up during storm induced outages. Too many surplus inverters and UPS in my electronic 'recycle' pile I can put to task if needed.

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We have a bunch of these on most systems at our locations. We replace them every 5 years.

5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use reversible Remy pipes for mine. It keep the rumbling below the belt line and let's thr Sperving bearing run in synchronous phase with the Knutson port

rawright54, howlnmad, Guts3d and 3 others like this.
  6. 68c15

It also helps keep the turbo encapulator running cool

rawright54, howlnmad, Guts3d and 2 others like this.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

That's a great classic video!

8. drymag

I don't know what you said but it sounds good.

Guts3d likes this.
  9. 68c15

I have no idea either. But I used some big words and they sure sound real

10. Guts3d

Guts3d Well-Known Member

Never hook up a laser printer to a U.P.S. I learned the hard way.

rawright54, drymag and crystalphoto like this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

What will happen to it? I recently bought a laser printer and I have a U.P.S.

drymag likes this.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Any time that I've seen a UPS truck with a problem, they send out a service truck :cool:.

drymag and crystalphoto like this.
  13. drymag

I would think it depends on the power ability of the ups. My pc is rated at only 550 watts so about 5+ amps. The surge on my laser printer dims my lights on power up or when it cycles from sleep to print. May be the bigger ups can handle them. I don't know.

14. drymag

Question on those that just replace the batteries and not the entire unit.

My little ups has surge protection (mov's, etc). Those used to have a shelf life in tat after so many spikes, they become weakened or ineffective. My supply is 7 years old. Have they resolved the component issue so mine could actually use just a new battery?

15. Aspeck

Aspeck Active Member

I have had 2 APC's that caught fire at our Training Centre in Ghana ... flames, the whole bit ... but I was there at the time and watching, the case contained all the flame. A lot of power surges there, that is what I have attributed to the flames. UPS' are cheap compared to computer systems, refrigerators, TV's, etc.

drymag likes this.