The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Good times
595 Posts
It looks like a WW1 pistol and worth more than you may think, they are hard to find. Flip it over and see if it just says model 1911 and not 1911A1. Just 1911 is WW1, 1911A1 is later. I have several WW1's and WW2's. I would like to have it if you sell it. My brother in law and me have a museum with over 200 guns from ever war and much more to see.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It's easily identified as a 1911, but that 1911 has been bumper shop plated up after bright polishing. Model 1911s were not just used in WW1, they were used until the 1911 & A-1 pistols were phased out of service.

If one wanted to spend the money, the gun could be deplated, refinished and blued, as these models were originally finished.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
While the value as an original has been permanently lost - this could still be a great "to have" pisol if the plating were removed by the reverse plating method and the pistol re-parkerized. Still wouldn't be worth much more than $500-$600 as a shooter - but would look great and be a fun gun to haul around to the range or field.

Trust me - I have experiance with plated war trophy pistols. At one time someone thought this was a great idea. They did it to a 1918 DMW P08 Luger I owned as a young guy. All of the numbers matched - but someone plated it (and put cheap black plastic grips/w 'Iron Cross"). It was a good shooter.... atfer I had it refinished and replaced those awful cheap grips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts