US ARMY MODEL 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by whitemach, Apr 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. whitemach

whitemach New Member

HI
    my grandfather recently past away and i found this old gun in the closet. it says united states property model 1911 of us army! ser #246xxx. its in good shape and and says colt on it with a horse?? he is a w2 vet and guessing he took it from the usmc??? it has family value but is worth any thing or will we get in trouble for having it??? thanks for your help!!!:eek
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm not going to try and give a value other than if all original, I'v been seeing thes go for 2 to 4000 dollars. However , you will not get in trouble for having it. It's been written off the books 50 years ago. It is a valued heirloom and should be kept in the family , however it's your firearm, it will make some collector very happ.! Also , it is older than WWII, try WW I. that looks to be a original Model of 1911.

3. whitemach

whitemach New Member

WELL IT SEEMS original and i was going to get a 45 bullet cause it dry fires ,i think it seems to work! i was going to clean it and find out.. is this a bad idea? maybee for sale!

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it is in good condition there is no reason not to fire it. That's what it was designed for. The springs are not going to go bad by storage. When I say original, many of these military gins were rebuilt, little thorught was put into making sure all the same parts went back into the same gun. Many of the old 1911's will have a Colt slide, a Remington Rand frame. and so on and so. They call them a mix-master. I'm thinking yours is all original and has not been rebuilt becasue of it's age and earily than WWII vintage. Only someone who is knowledgeable about these guns can tell uou.

5. killbuck

killbuck New Member

That's a model 1911 and I have one just like it (Colt as well) except mine appears to have a different grip. Mine also has a low serial number as yours. I was offered $1,000 dollars for mine about 5 years ago by a NYS Trooper but I refused the offer. This gun stays in the family.
    HTH.

6. whitemach

whitemach New Member

he also left me this 30-m1 springfield rifle! i think its old to!
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/img]

7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    My advice: KEEP THEM! They are worth a lot of money, but to you and your family, they are priceless. If I would put an amount on a 1911, made in 1918 (as is yours), original grips,etc. I wouldn't start less than $2200. The Garand, first you have to see who made it (look on the tail end for the manufacturer, by the S/N). Their prices keep climbing, as well. Prices are going higher and higher for such well kept arms. By all means, hang on to them. TJ

8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Whitemach, welcome to TFF. I am your long lost cousin...Your grandfather intended for me to have those. :D Seriously, you've found a real treasure with both of those.

9. whitemach

whitemach New Member

THE RIFLE says ( US RIFLE-CAL 30 M1 SPRINGFIELD ARMORY) SERIAL #1,953,XXX anybody have a clue when it was made ? i take it springfield made it?

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Rifle was made in 1943.

11. whitemach

whitemach New Member

THANKS ALPO,,,,, i found out its a 30-06, i also have his marine service knife,,think i am going to have a case made and display them ! he served 4 years from 42-46 in the USMC !this is one of the MEN who kept us free!!! godspeed papa:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There were several knives used my the USMC , Unless it has already been done, dont sharpen it or clean it, if it is an original ( there's that word again ) it by it self is very collectable. and worth a couple hundred. Any thing military of this nature is raising in price. The great gereration is going, those items they used are in demand. On your M-1, learn about it, study it then use it. There are people ( incluing myself) who would go to greath lengths to acquire it. by ther way, what is your address.

13. whitemach

whitemach New Member

14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    BTW, keep them cleaned and oiled. Put a light coat on all metal surfaces to stop any more pitting and rust. If those guns could talk!! Don't be in any hurry to sell such fine heirlooms. TJ

15. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I would kill to have those guns so keep them, especiely the factory originial 1911. That gun probably saved your grandfather's life during that war.