US compliance parts

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jdon72, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jdon72

jdon72 Member

Can you make your own compliance parts?

I want to convert my usc to ump and no one including ED at HDPS has any stock blocks, floor plates, and followers.

I want to get some made and possible sell to pay the extra in machining the products. Does anyone know the laws on compliance parts or manufacturing your own parts for a firearm?

J

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Looked into it myself for making extended mags for the Rem. 788. It really depends on the parts your making. The BATF may want to visit you when you start making parts and selling them. Contact them first and ask. Some parts require you have a FFL 7 to make. You don't want to start first then have them shut you down. Custom parts for YOUR gun is a different story. Also making parts can be a liability if someone is injured b/c of failure of your part.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009

3. jdon72

jdon72 Member

Thanks for the input Helix. I want to talk to a machinist first to see if it will be cost effective. Then talk to the ATF and find out what I need to do. I talked to a ffl dealer and he said the same as you...if I make a part for my gun it is ok. If I sell, check into the legalities. He thought that since these parts are not the main functioning or working parts and it does not have anything to do with full auto i should be ok. I will always be sure before I start the work.

J