US Military Winchester 1200

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Fresh20
    (7/25/02 2:12:42 am)
    Reply US Military Winchester 1200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey
    I'm trying to find information on the US service of the Win 1200 Riot gun. Anyone out there able to help find sites or photos?
    Cheers
    Fresh

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 8:00:19 am)
    Reply Re: US Military Winchester 1200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's what you're looking for:

www.americanrifleman.org/...&child=yes
    www.securityarms.com/2001...00/915.htm

Here's the training manual (scroll to the bottom of the page):

www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

or: translate.google.com/tran...8%26sa%3DG

Fresh20
    (7/25/02 10:39:44 pm)
    Cheers Xracer,
    I've already found those - the photo's a stock US army one, been on a bunch of sites. Difficult to find any more photos.
    I'm trying to source a heat shield/bayonet lug for one I have...
    The new issue 12G looks like a nice one.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/30/02 9:19:39 pm)
    According to Canfield in "US Combat Shotguns" the US Army only bought 1200s in 1968-1969, and they used the same "Type W" ventilated handguard and P-17 bayonets that the M97 and M12 Winchester trench guns used.

They also bought some M1400 ones at the same time, without handguards.

Kinda neat researching it, I musta skimmed it the first time because I missed it, but they tested both the 1200 and 1400 modified to use detachable mags, he has pictures in the book, but said they were unreliable.

He says there is no evidence they saw any use in Vietnam, and so few actual US 1200s or 1400s if you could prove it was legit, it would be worth a bunch. He doesn't mention whether they had the bomb ordnance marks added or not...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Fresh20
    (8/4/02 4:55:54 pm)
    Cheers Polish
    Much appreciated... hard to find any info - kinda obscure topic to research.
    I'll go dig up the book.
    Fresh