US Navy.......Catch and release??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Jay625
    (1/10/03 10:01:51 pm)
    Reply US Navy.......Catch and release??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bondai1
    (1/10/03 10:22:50 pm)
    Reply Cat test
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cat Test...

Jay625
    (1/10/03 10:33:34 pm)
    Reply Re: Cat test
    naaaaahhhhh.......really?

bondai1
    (1/10/03 10:39:29 pm)
    Reply yep
    uh huh!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 9:07:51 am)
    Reply Re: yep
    I saw the same ship (U.S.S. Forrestal) do a "cat test" in Naples in '57.....unfortunately, they were tied up to Pier 55 at the time, and the object launched was an F9F....with the wings folded!

I do believe that ComAirLant chewed the Forrestal's skipper a new pucker string over that one.

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:40:30 am)
    New type of prop sharpener?
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 10:20:20 am)
    Re: yep
    Xracer that must have been a hoot!
    cointoss2

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 1:39:05 pm)
    Re: yep
    Looks like Ol' Don Garlits fergot to pop his 'chute.

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 2:30:51 pm)
    looks a little like the assend of a Falcon. Is this the "falcon" ya get fer da "falcon" ya got??

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 6:48:03 pm)
    Yeah, it sure was CT.

We were anchored out in the bay. It was a Sunday morning and three of us had gone up on the 01 deck for a smoke after breakfast. We were just hangin' over the rail when we saw that sucker go......off it went with it's wings folded for about 50 yards and then straight into the drink. We all looked at each other with a "Did I just see what I thought I saw" looks on our faces.

The Old Man was ashore, and the Exec was useless, so we hunted up the OD and told him what we saw. At first he didn't believe us, but finally, saying "If you guys are blowing smoke up my ass, I'll kill ya!", he came up on deck to take a look.

When we got back on deck, it was obvious SOMETHING had happend......looked like the whole damn crew of the Forrestal was on the forward edge of the flight deck, looking into the water.

Our OD got on the TBS (Talk Between Ships Radio) and called the carrier. He got their OD and asked if the ship had just launched an aircraft. The answer....."Not on purpose."

For the life of me, I can't figured out how this could've happened. In port, there never should've been "steam up" on the catapault.....and there never should've been a plane on it, steam up or not.

Anyway, next day there were a bunch of tugs and an Italian Navy salvage barge out there fishing. After a while they reeled in the Cougar.

Just another day in the life of the Forrestal....the most screwed up ship in the U.S. Navy.

Tiger06
    (1/11/03 7:01:52 pm)
    Being an Army type.. It kind of tickles me to say.. Boy, that just had to be a really bad day!

Everyone has a bad day now & then.. but the Navy makes an art out of it..

TARGETS UP
    Tiger06

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 7:51:17 pm)
    Reply Guud! one!
    Too funny!...Welcome tiger06!...

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 8:21:53 pm)
    Re: Guud! one!
    Xracer, if you only would of had a video of that launch! I have to imagine everytime you recollect, you see it all over, and everytime has to bring a heck of a laugh!
    cointoss2

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 9:43:33 pm)
    Reply Re: Guud! one!
    Luckily the plane was empty when they launched it, but I'll tell ya, CT, those F9Fs seemed to follow me around in the Navy.

About a year later, I was on an ATF (ocean-going tug) out of Newport, RI. An F9F augered into the ocean a few miles off the Quanset Point Naval Air Station. They sent a boat from the Underwater Sound Lab in New London to locate it. When they'd found it, they sent us out to have our divers recover the body of the pilot.

Well they got him on board, they put him in a body bag, and put him in the freezer 'till we got back into port.

Guess what we had for lunch that day? Meatloaf.

SouthernMoss
    (1/11/03 11:03:17 pm)
    Re: Guud! one!
    eeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.