The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help date my old U.S. Revolver Co. 5-shot 38 caliber pistol. It would also be nice to know what it might be worth.

The pistol has stainless metal finish with a black grip. Both grip pieces have a U.S. stamping. The top of the barrel has U.S. REVOLVER Co stamped on it. The barrel is 3.25 inches and is top break.

The serial number, 21435, is stamped under the left grip piece. This same number is stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard. There is no letter prefix in either case. There are minor scratches on the metal. There is what appears to be minor damage repair to the bottom end of the right grip piece.

All the mechanical aspects of the gun seem to be in working order. However, there is some misalignment of the revolver cylinder and the barrel due to what seems to be wear on the ratchet and pawls. This causes small amounts of lead to be shaved from the bullet and ejected out the sides of the gun when firing. So, the gun is no longer safe to fire in its current condition.

Please see the attached pictures.

Thanks for the help, Tom

usRevolver38_1.jpg
usRevolver38_2.jpg

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
US revolvers were made from left over black powder parts when Iver Johson went to smokeless frames. These pistols should be considered black powder ammo only. Someone will be along shortly with more and better information than I can give you.

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You gun was manufactured in 1911, and as Grizzley mentioned a black powder frame.

A gun that shaves bullets isn't going to me worth much, maybe $50-$75. You should be able to replace the hand, but paying a gunsmith to replace it will cost more than the gun is worth. Most of us who collect these work on them as a hobby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts