The Firearms Forum banner

US Revolver Co (Iver Johnson)

2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  CONCORDSHOOTER 
#1 ·
Hello. New to the site but already found some very useful information. I am trying to track down information on a revolver passed down when my grandfather passed away. The revolver details are as follows:

US Revolver Co (Iver Johnson)
Small frame
Break action
.22 cal
7-shot
Serial #496 (no letter designation)
There is no firing pin and the hammer is smooth. I assume there is a part(s) missing here. The nickel finish is not to bad considering the age. I would like to know if anyone has any information about the manufacture date, and possibly the suspected missing firing pin part(s). Thank you in advance, any assistance is greatly appreciated. I have loaded several pics. I am aware that Mr. Goforth was the expert on this firearm but unfortunately he has passed. Larry
Revolver Trigger
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Bumper Material property
Finger Nail Material property Hand
Trigger Shotgun Material property

Revolver Trigger
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Bumper Material property
Finger Nail Material property Hand
Trigger Shotgun Material property

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to remove the grips and get the full serial number under the grips on the left side of the frame. If there is an E it was made in 1917, if there is no letter it was made in 1910. I also seem to remember the earlier models did not have the Made in the USA. It was only after cheap knock offs from Europe labeled US Revolvers was that added.

As you pointed out, US Revolvers were made by Iver Johnson. They used their surplus 2nd Model frames that were built for black powder after they switched to manufacturing 3rd Model smokeless frames. The US Revolvers did not have the "hammer the hammer" actions that Iver Johnson's were famous for.

You are missing the firing pin, firing pin retaining pin and the firing pin spring. It would be similar to a the firing pin for a Iver Johnson Supershot .22. The firing pins are hard to find, but can be made.

#4 ·
There is a member on this forum that has a lot of Iver Johnson parts , but I am not sure if he will have one of these. I will let him know you are looking for one.

If you are mechanical, you may be able to make one using some round metal stock and a file and a grinder. I can post a picture of what it looks like if you want to try it yourself.

#6 ·
Here is a picture of what the firing pin would look like. Since it is a rimfire, the firing pin needs to be offset to the top. There needs to be a notch in the bottom to allow the firing pin to move forward when struck and back when the hammer is cocked. The firing pin in the picture is for a Supershot that has the 'hammer the hammer' action. The US Revolver doesn't have that feature, so the back end of the firing pin does not need to be that shape. It can be rounded.
Text Font Handwriting Calligraphy Writing

#8 ·
I emailed the parts guy, who is member of this forum, and he thinks he may have the parts you need. He will be out of the loop for a week or two, but if you "refresh" this thread by asking about the parts I will hit him up again at that time.

In the meantime, do you have a calipers to measure the diameter of the hole where the firing pin inserts?

#14 ·
Here is a picture of what the firing pin would look like. Since it is a rimfire, the firing pin needs to be offset to the top. There needs to be a notch in the bottom to allow the firing pin to move forward when struck and back when the hammer is cocked. The firing pin in the picture is for a Supershot that has the 'hammer the hammer' action. The US Revolver doesn't have that feature, so the back end of the firing pin does not need to be that shape. It can be rounded.
View attachment 121656
any chance you could get post closer up pic of end of firing pin and or dimensions of the tip, I have made one but am having heck of time figuring out rebounding spring, firing pin and spring was totally missing from one I have.

#18 ·
Here you go. If you have a US Revolver, it will not have the "Hammer the Hammer" action that my Supershot 9 has. The hammer is completely flat on a US Revolver while the hammer on the Supershot is cut out so it never rests on the firing pin.

The breech of the US Revolver firing pin will not need the notch cut out of the top since the hammer is not cut out like it is on the Supershot.

Attachments

#19 ·
I have the exact firearms as yours, thanks for the pics, but I'll ask for one more, break open the action, take a pic of the breach where the firing pin come through the front. mine its very badly beat up, and I aim trying to figure out to tig weld and recut or make bushing to solder in , I made replacement firing pin to fill hole, but left no room for spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.