Used 40 S&W Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dw4570, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dw4570

dw4570 New Member

I recently read that most used 40 S&W brass is too badly bulged to reload. Can anyone confirm/explain or at least shed some light on this for me?

2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A load of crapzola. My brother and I alone reload a few thousand .40 S&Ws every year without a hitch. The cases can be reloaded numerous times at that.

3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Alot of brass shot from Glock pistols will develop a buldge due to the fact the chamber in these weapons does not fully support the cartridge. This design enhances it's reliablity. I can only assume that this idea came about because so many Glock pistols are out their.
    The same can be said of brass shot through a Glock in any caliber. I'm not sure if this, flat out, makes them unsuitable to reload, however I would be cautious if I didn't know the source of the brass. Experience will tell you what condition brass is when you go through your reloading process. Untill your confident in your skills, stick with what you know.

Use your noggin.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I have reloaded 40 cal brass from both a Glock and an H & K with no ill effect. Inspect all brass before loading, regardless of source, and discard any that is cracked, split or has any other defects that make you uncomfortable.

5. dw4570

dw4570 New Member

Thanks guys. I'm new on this forum and appreciate the responses. I have been reloading many calibers for the past 33 yrs but since I only have one 40S&W I've never reloaded them. Now with about 600 empties I figured I'd get the dies and get started. I was a little disturbed when I heard the warning so your input is well received.