Using the Lee hand press?????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jumpinfrog, Apr 18, 2009.

1. jumpinfrog

jumpinfrog Former Guest

First let me say hello to you all here as I am new here...So my question for you is this. Has anyone or does anyone here use the Lee hand press?
    I have just moved into a senior citizen building and the apartment is small..I want to continue reloading for my 22-250-243-45-70 ect...I have a monster turret press and am thinking of selling that one and getting a small press..So I was thinking of the Lee hand held press..
    This way I will not have to make any type of bench here..Do you think this press will meet my needs? I hate to have to give up a lot of stuff but that is the price one pays of getting over the hill as they say...So I would like to hear some thoughts from some of you fellows here on this matter..I will appreciate hearing from you...Feel free to e mail if you wish at
    pigcatshiner@yahoo.com Thanks John in NE pa:confused:

2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Back in the early '70s I loaded for a couple of .308 rifles with one and it worked just fine. It's not real fast but it gets the job done very nicely and takes up very little space, which at the time was real important to me too.

3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum John... I'm going to move this down to the reloading forum.

Hope you get some good answers, I may be interested in this thing myself since I am recently divorced.

I sure miss my shop, but it was well worth the trade. :D:D:D

Crpdeth

4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry, how rude of me... Welcome aboard John!

5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have all kinds of reloaders, Rockchucker, Herter's, two Dillons, Tru line Jr, Lyman 310 tool, and a Lee Hand press. It works well and takes up little space.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also have one of the Lee hand presses. It works very well, but I use it mostly on handgun ammo. When my wife "fusses" at me for staying out in my reloading room so much, I just break out the hand press and sit in the living room and watch TV while loading.

7. jumpinfrog

jumpinfrog Former Guest

Good morning.I have been waiting to get some answers to my question and I really appreciate your replys....So,I guess I will dig this little loader out and give it a try as well..Thanks again for your help on this...John

8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I've got a Lee Hand Press in my "portable" reloading kit too. Like gd I mainly use it for handgun ammo but I have used it on bottleneck rifle cartridges too...it makes for a good workout resizing a bunch of .25-06 length cases!

A great little tool for sitting in the living room and resizing brass while watching TV...until everyone else in the room starts telling me to take that annoying "click-click-click" back into my toy room. :)

9. jumpinfrog

jumpinfrog Former Guest

Ha ha ha...Thanks for the comment...John

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This past fall, my wife made me take some heavy bedspreads over to a laundrymat to wash in their heavy duty machines. I took my Lee hand press and a couple thousand .40 cases that needed to be deprimed and resized. You should have seen the looks I got and heard the questions that people asked me. There are a lot of folks out there that do not know you can reload ammo.

11. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s Member

You may want to look at the Huntington Compac hand press too. I started out with a Lee hand press and switched to the Compac. More $$, but a much better hand press. The LHP had a lot of springiness to it, just loading 45 colt. The LHP is really handy for depriming though (especially if you use a universal depriming die before you tumble the brass), since it captures the spent primers and debris inside the ram. Just don't forget to dump it or you can end up with a ram full of primers that jams the shell holder where you can't get it off to dump the primers out of the ram. Don't ask how I know that.

The Compac does not have a tube or anything to capture spent primers, but it does have a priming post built in. I bolted a 4" dia. hardwood disk to the bottom of my compac, so it will stand up on a table by itself if I need both hands for something else for a minute. The Lee will not stand up by itself, and cannot easily be fitted with a base either.

I would also recommend maybe a black and decker workmate folding bench, or a roll-about tool cabinet, etc. for a small reloading bench. Roll it out of the closet/corner when you want to use it, roll it back when done. I built mine using a Rockler steel router table leg set. They have locking swivel casters available for it too. Loaded up with lots of brass, bullets and powder, as well as reloading dies, etc., it is solid and sturdy.

Andy

12. jumpinfrog

jumpinfrog Former Guest

Bigjake---Thanks for the info on the hand press.I guess I had never heard of them befor..I looked it up..Nice looking out fit..I have had the Lee hand press for a number of years but never used it.I won it at a shootin match afew years back...And thought that some day I would use it..So the day has come....And your idea of the black and decker wook mate is another good one.I have seen them used for this before and so I bought one last week...It sets behind the couch...So,thanks for the info.And maybe I can pass it along to another shooter as well...John in PA...:cool:

13. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I think I'll get one of those Lee hand presses just in case. That Hungtonton one looks nice but it's bit too pricey for me at this stage.

14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Because of this thread, I got mine out of the box and started playing with it. My thoughts.

It works fine for loading pistol rounds. So far I have sized and primed 45 Colt, sized and primed 32 ACP and primed and loaded 38 special.

It truly sucks at reforming rifle cases. I was trying to turn some 243s into 308s, and I was afraid I was gonna break that aluminum thing.

Resizing rifle cases is next on the "try list". Don't know if it will work for that or not. Hope so.

You cannot use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager with it. There is not enough room between the ram and the frame of the press.

I like it better for priming LP than I do my Rockchucker. The movements involved in use help the primers to slide down the chute better (I use a Lee Autoprime II). With SP, though, there seems to be too much movement. I got a lot of primer flipping sideways. With a bench press, it is easy to stand over the press and see if the primer is in correctly. With this press, holding it to see down into the priming die is awkward.

It's slow. Last night I primed 400 32 ACP cases, while watching TV. About two hours. Probably would have taken about an hour and a half with my rockchucker.

But, it does work. And it beats the heck out of using a hammer with a Lee LoadAll.

15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

:eek: A person could make soooo many smart-aleck remarks to that!
    Where's glocknut when ya need him? :D

Reforming brass in that Hand Press? Wow! I can believe that that was a workout! I bet that little aluminum frame wasn't happy at all!

I've done quite a bit of resizing with the little Lee.
    Long-action cartridges (25-06, .270, and the like) take a bit of oomph.
    Short-action cartridges and ones with a lot of case wall taper (.223, .243,.30-30. etc) work pretty good.
    I usually stick with using my Hand Press with pistol ammo but I always take it along on weekend-long prairie dog hunts just in case I run out of ammo.