The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t remember having this much fun with my clothes on! I sucked but I didn’t get disqualified.
:lol:

I had a few Mikes and I think 3 or 4 No Shoots. Times were terrible.

Things I learned today:

1) Make sure your mag is seated properly. That came back to bite me a couple of times.

2) I need to learn to count rounds. I had a couple of standing reloads because I forgot how many shots I had taken.

3) Don’t flag the RO while reloading. :rolleyes: I got lucky and he had sympathy for me since it was my first match. He let me know about it after I finished the stage. I won’t get that chance the next time.

The Colt ran flawlessly. Better than I did. All I can say is I love this gun!

Here are pics of all 4 stages. None with me shooting unfortunately.

0E1D2E4A-E237-46FC-85E1-75D6142B20E3.jpeg 18111127-3C20-40A3-979A-059FF700053A.jpeg 4F1FD63F-5EFB-4E74-B8A1-6942F1D7FC65.jpeg 732ADBA5-24F7-4520-AF95-7EDF6616171D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1) how much does the magazine stick out of the magwell when seated? If it's flush it will be hard to seat properly, you could add some material to the basepad and see if that works for you. I don't know if it's allowed in SS UPSA though.
If your mags are only difficult to seat when fully loaded it will get easier when the spring breaks in/ gets a set. Leaving the mags fully loaded overnight also helps for some.
Last point, the base pad on my Mecgar magazines was too tall on the front causing it to hit the magwell just before it seated fully. I filed it down which fixed the issue.
Now I have a larger magwell on the gun which just makes reloading easier :)

2)Plan reloads during your walkthrough, ie. 1st position 2 shots, 2nd position 4 shots, reload going to next position etc. That way you do not have to count shots, you will lose count anyways.
If you have a position with > 8 rounds or with a bit of steel always reload before that position. even if you only fired 1 shot. (All assuming 10 shots in SS)

3)Very lucky indeed, I will refrain from commenting further ;)

All in all it's a very fun game with a bit of a learning curve. Shooting is easy, unless you need to do it fast :p

One more think, you cannot make up time or be faster just by shooting faster. You can only shoot as fast as you can see. The most time is gained by efficient movement and gun manipulation.
Mikes and no shoots are killing for your overall score and Delta's are just lucky Mikes.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) how much does the magazine stick out of the magwell when seated? If it's flush it will be hard to seat properly, you could add some material to the basepad and see if that works for you. I don't know if it's allowed in SS UPSA though.
If your mags are only difficult to seat when fully loaded it will get easier when the spring breaks in/ gets a set. Leaving the mags fully loaded overnight also helps for some.
Last point, the base pad on my Mecgar magazines was too tall on the front causing it to hit the magwell just before it seated fully. I filed it down which fixed the issue.
Now I have a larger magwell on the gun which just makes reloading easier :)

2)Plan reloads during your walkthrough, ie. 1st position 2 shots, 2nd position 4 shots, reload going to next position etc. That way you do not have to count shots, you will lose count anyways.
If you have a position with > 8 rounds or with a bit of steel always reload before that position. even if you only fired 1 shot. (All assuming 10 shots in SS)

3)Very lucky indeed, I will refrain from commenting further ;)

All in all it's a very fun game with a bit of a learning curve. Shooting is easy, unless you need to do it fast :p

One more think, you cannot make up time or be faster just by shooting faster. You can only shoot as fast as you can see. The most time is gained by efficient movement and gun manipulation.
Mikes and no shoots are killing for your overall score and Delta's are just lucky Mikes.
My mags do stick out enough that they do seat properly. The issue there was me being nervous and trying to rush things.

I really did try to plan out my shots ahead of time but every time I heard the “BEEP” on the timer, I just forgot the plan. On one stage, I stared at a target for a good 10 seconds trying to remember if I had shot it already. :confused:

I really was lucky considering the RO could have DQ’ed me on the spot. :eek:

I like the idea that Deltas are just lucky Mikes but I think I would have been better off going for a Delta instead of getting a couple of those no shoots. I should have been paying more attention to the Mikes as well. If I had noticed them, I could have shot again.

So, did you win? :)
Pretty sure I won Single Stack division. :D

I’ll have to post my final score and overall place later tonight after the organizer puts the results on PractiScore.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I really did try to plan out my shots ahead of time but every time I heard the “BEEP” on the timer, I just forgot the plan. On one stage, I stared at a target for a good 10 seconds trying to remember if I had shot it already. :confused:
That's how it is the first couple of times, especially if you haven't trained much on the clock with spectators. It will pass after a few matches.
Setup a simple stage plan and don't try to copy the local hotshot and especially do not change your stage plan right before it is your turn. That is a disaster waiting to happen, ask me how I know :D

I really was lucky considering the RO could have DQ’ed me on the spot. :eek:
Should ;)

I like the idea that Deltas are just lucky Mikes but I think I would have been better off going for a Delta instead of getting a couple of those no shoots. I should have been paying more attention to the Mikes as well. If I had noticed them, I could have shot again.
Eventually you will know where your shot hit right after firing it and without have to check, you just don't have time to confirm your shots. In a bit you will be shooting make up shots unconsciously. It's called "calling your shots".
And remember, you cannot miss fast enough.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
Here are pics of all 4 stages. None with me shooting unfortunately.
I have lots of pictures of club competitions, very few with me in them.

Congratulations on your first competition with your new gun. Yes, nerves get in the way sometimes, but that will pass to some extent. What you experienced is similar to what I think they call buck fever when hunting.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Mike?
Delta?
Flag RO / DQ for ????
Mike is a miss. Delta is one of 3 scoring zones: A zone(Alpha) C zone(charlie) & D zone(delta). DQ is disqualified.

Flagging the RO(range officer) means he swept him with the muzzle of his gun. A big no no. That is usually an instant dq or your shoot is over.

Glad you had fun and learned a bit, Willie. Keep at it as you will be surprised how fast you improve.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
@Wild Turkey Cogburn
The game is based on hitfactor scoring, meaning points divided by time.
The cardboard targets are 2 shots per target, steel just 1 shot. (unless otherwise specified).
The cardboards has 3 zones, A C and D, A=5, C=3 and D=1 point. A mike is -10 points.
Shooting a mike effectively results in -15 points, the 10 penalty points and 5 points you did not get for a hit.
Shooting a NS (no shoot) a usually white target also results in 10 penalty points. It used to represent a hostage.

If you look at the stage above with the 4 steel (poppers) and the 1 cardboard you have a maximum possible amount of points of 30. Shooting a mike leaves you with only half the points at best. Ie. Mike is not your friend.:lol: (Sorry for all the Mikes on the forum)

Because people are running around with a loaded gun and usually not on safe, the safety rules are very strict. Violating even one of them results in a DQ meaning you are done for that match. No matter if it's the first stage on a 3 day match for which you traveled 6 hours or not.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@vassago those scores are minor power factor, right? I thought major was A-5, C-4, D-3. The higher scores are what give major a slight advantage over minor. (Unless you’re lucky enough to shoot all Alphas. :D )

1,076 Posts
Cowboy Action is 3 gun. Actually, 4. 2 SA revolver, lever action, pistol caliber rifle and SXSW, lever or '97 Win shotgun
We say covering or sweeping, not flagging. Interesting.
No arms are loaded, until stepping to the line.
Shotguns are left with breach open, even on the line, loaded or not.
Only steel, strictly hit or miss, and gong or falling.
Score is HITS, time is tie breaker

22-28 hits per stage, we typically shoot 7 stages.

160 Hits @4 mins beats
159 hits @ 3 mins

No power factor rating, other than must be centerfire. Under 16, may shoot rimfire.

The different "games" and how the equipment evolves, with the rules and the gamers; fascinate me.
Some game are 90% $$$ for equipment or class.

The first cowboy shoot I went to, only 2 shooters talked to me. The first, match director, welcomed me to the group. The 2nd, a shooter comes over, as we get to Stage 3, " just to inform me that my Blackhawks would not qualify in a National match because adjustable sights are not authentic. " I glanced at holsters and state, " but a stainless .327 is? I'm here to shoot and have fun. "

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The different "games" and how the equipment evolves, with the rules and the gamers; fascinate me.
Some game are 90% $$$ for equipment or class.
I totally agree a lot of it can be a money and status game. Some of these guys don’t even blink at paying $3,000 for the latest hot rod racing pistol and when the next hot thing comes out, they’ll drop $4,000 more.

The one saving factor for USPSA is they have divisions for Production, Single Stack (1911) and Carry Optics where you can be fairly competitive with a more or or less a stock gun.

I can say that it sounds like my first experiences have been more positive than what you described. Most of the people I have talked to in USPSA have been extremely helpful and considerate. Looking forward to the next match!

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The organizers finally got the results posted on PractiScore. Overall, I finished 16th out of 18 competitors. I took 1st in Single Stack since I was the only shooter in that division. Better than I thought I would do.

Time: 235.26

C- 11
D- 2

M-7 :eek:
NS- 2 :mad:

Here’s the link to my full stats if anyone is interested:

https://www.practiscore.com/results/card/mmShooter_2949816

·
GUNZILLA
7,575 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. You'll get better with time and the more events you enter. I thought about entering once in my younger years but could never really make a commitment, just to plain lazy and when I had free time I used to like drinking a cold drink and watch the grass grow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now that you've tried USPSA go to a Steel Challenge match with your same setup and enjoy shooting steel. There isn't the movement that USPSA has but the challenge is still there. I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA for nearly 40 years and Steel Challenge since the 80's. Both are enjoyable.

Unfortunately the local ranges have rocks on the bays and I can not maneuver my wheelchair around them so I'm regulated to one range in town. Like you said, "Most fun I can have with my clothes on."

Congratulations on not having any problems and not DQing on your first match. Enjoy and watch the other competitors for ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that you've tried USPSA go to a Steel Challenge match with your same setup and enjoy shooting steel. There isn't the movement that USPSA has but the challenge is still there. I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA for nearly 40 years and Steel Challenge since the 80's. Both are enjoyable.
I’ve been scouting for steel matches close by. I know there is one a couple hours north of me but it’s rather infrequent. I might have to check across the IA/MO border since we are close.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts