The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased an 1896 30-40 krag carbine at estate sale it has been sportarized. It stil has oridinal stock but finger grips on foream has been smoothed out the original butt plate has been replaced and barrel has one inch removed. The rifle is in very good condition with no pitting and very good bore with no rust and good rifling grooves. What would be the value? Serial number 53xxx

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Snoopy - as Shooter said about the pictures. One thing that has a very common thread in so many posts such as this about sporterized military rifles is that they are almost never worth as much dollar wise as they would have been in original un-cut condition. Most sporterized milsurp rifles are worth anywhere from $25 to $250, and that depends on how well or how badly they were done. If the receiver hasn't been drilled for a scope or otherwise altered it will be worth at least as much as the stripped receiver.

Matching numbers on a sporter very often means nothing.

Don't get me wrong, my all-time favorite rifle was a sporterized 1903 Springfield. I got it after it was professionaly built, and it was a thing of perfection. It shot 1/4" groups at 100 yards all day long. But the value would have been more if it hadn't been sporterized.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Example..I recently bought a 1917 Eddystone in 30/06. The Barrel had been cut back to 25 inches, the receiver had been turned to remove the military "dog ear: sights. A Timney adjustable trigger and a very nicely inletted and finished Herters stock replaced the military stock.Very nice refinished blueing job. Drilled and tapped, with a one piece Redfield base. Still cocks on closing, but shoots 1/2 inch groups. Cost $175 plus tax, and the gun shop threw in a bag of 50 BTSP 160 grain bullets. In my area Model 1917 Eddystone rifles as issued by the military start at $800, and go up if you can find them....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was given a sporterized/butchered 1896 Krag a few years ago. The usual cut down barrel, Remington ramp sight on the front, sawed/brazed 1902 sight on the rear. The stock was chopped up, plastic butt plate fitted and finished with a blood red deck paint.

I replaced the rear sight, filled the holes from the front sight and sourced and fitted an original Krag sight. Then re-blued the barrel and magazine door. I refinished the stock, cartouche still visible and and made a heavy brass butt plate to fit. It now looks quite nice and is an excellent shooter. It took weeks to do all this.

My gunsmith friend seemed impressed enough to compliment my work. He said I had taken a $75 piece of junk and transformed it into an $80 gun. High praise indeed.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah, the sad truth is that sporterized milsurps rarely have much value. Regardless of how much you spruce them up. The only exceptions to this are highly customized examples done by a few respected gunsmiths. Usually rebarreled to other non military calibers. But they are very robust and useable rifles. And make fun projects. IMO $80. might be a tad low. I think pretty much any functioning rifle is worth $100. now days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts