The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This Winchester '73 in my collection is in .44WCF caliber (no caliber marks on the gun) and according to the serial number was manufactured in 1880. The outer condition can be judged by the photos. The inside of the barrel is rough, but the rifling is still discernible. The mechanism is tight and functions very well, including the dust cover and hammer notches.
View attachment 100865 View attachment 100866 View attachment 100867 View attachment 100868 View attachment 100869 View attachment 100870 View attachment 100871
As I have no real idea what a fair value for this gun would be today, I would appreciate very much if you could write your opinions on this. Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

·
Premium Member
17,186 Posts
Boelcke, Not sure what your gun is worth. But you say there is no caliber listed on the gun. Most of the time the caliber is scrolled on the bottom of the carrier. That's brass piece that raises the shell from the magazine into the chamber. It may be worn down from handling over the years and hard to read. Someone here will be able to help you with a estimate, good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boelcke, Not sure what your gun is worth. But you say there is no caliber listed on the gun. Most of the time the caliber is scrolled on the bottom of the carrier. That's brass piece that raises the shell from the magazine into the chamber. It may be worn down from handling over the years and hard to read. Someone here will be able to help you with a estimate, good luck.
Thank you for your message. I have read somewhere that the earlier Winchester '73s were all made in .44WCF caliber only and therefore not marked, so that the caliber-markings came into use only later, after the guns were manufactured also in other calibers. Maybe that's why. Checked closely with a magnifying glass, I couldn't find any markings on the carrier of this gun, also no signs of a deleted or worn down marking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts