The Firearms Forum banner

Value Of Deringer?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Would any TFF members have an estimate of the value of this original Henry Deringer pistol? It is approximately 7 inches long, with a 4-1/8 in. barrel. There is a small receptacle on the butt, with an engraved lid, possibly for percussion caps, and the trigger guard is apparently nickle or 'German silver'. Will attempt more photos, with additional detail, if that would help. Thanks, in advance, for any and all input!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yours is a bit rough. I saw a display of them over the weekend at the Richmond Civil War show and they were pretty pricey ($3,000 to $4,000), but they were also in very good condition. I believe yours( size wise) is what is referred to as the Lincoln Derringer (research it on the Internet). Depending on the bore condition, I'd guesstimate the value as in the $800-$1,200 range.

Interesting side note: Last year on Jeopardy, they had a "double r" category in which all answers had a two "consecutive" r's. One of the answers referred to the pistol used to kill Lincoln--guess the Jeopardy researchers didn't do their homework....

#5 ·
I think the hammer has been repaired or replaced. The spur doesn't look right and the angle to the nipple is wrong. Also, the trigger doesn't look right and may be a replacement. I see several odd things that, if I were considering buying it, would lead me to want an expert look.

Jim
I agree that the hammer looks very suspicious--the hammer spur stands way too tall. And apparently this model had a ramrod, which is missing. But the trigger may be fine--attached is picture of similar gun sold by Cowan Auction's for $805 (which also has a suspicious-looking hammer) and described as:

.45 caliber, 3.25" barrel marked with Deringer Philadelphia on the top of breech also on the back-action lock. Left side of breech marked with sunburst and a P. Has a ramrod, German silver triggerguard, nose cap, escutcheons. Checkered walnut stock.

Condition: Barrel is grey with some pitting and staining. Lock is dark blue. Stock with some nicks and dings

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
The trigger is probably OK; though it is not a common type for Deringer, they do turn up. The spur caught my attention, but I also noticed that the strike is at the wrong angle. The old timers made sure the hammer struck the cap squarely to ensure better ignition; that one does not. Also, the bottom of the hammer appears to come below the edge of the lockplate, something that would be unusual. The wedgeplate finials are not the design I have seen on other Deringer pistols, but they did have some variations. Pictures of the top and bottom of the pistol would help with some of my thoughts.

I "blew up" the picture and the lockplate marking looks like it was done with individual letter stamps or by engraving; the Deringers I have seen all had the regular single stamp. Do I think it is a fake, old or recent? I don't know, but will stick to what I said about having a real expert look at it before putting any money into it.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.