The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This looks like an amazing forum- I just joined. This drilling was my grandfather's- he brought it back from Germany after WWII. I would LOVE to know more about it, including its value for insurance purposes, and any information about how I should best care for it- this is the only firearm I own and I am a firearm neophyte. THANK YOU!

-Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
You're missing at least 1/3 of the proof marks, there's a whole series on the rifle barrel. You're going to have to take it apart, it needs cleaned anyway, and get pictures a fella can tell something from. At this point all I'll venture is it's 16 bore for 2 1/2 in. cases and Nitro proofed, maybe in Zella-Mehlis and has Wittner fluid steel for the barrels.

In addition to all the proof marks we'll need to see both sides, top and bottom of entire gun rather than itty bitty snippets and, if there's anything stamped on the rib.

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
To begin the basics of care, oil is good for the metal and bad for the stock. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
Hmm...Thomas hasn't been back since he poste this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sharps4590, mentioned Zella-Mehlis. My dad's (WWII) outfit liberated the Mauser factory there, and all he took was a P-38. Wish he would have taken the whole darn plant!

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
Then moved next door to Suhl where the good stuff was!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts