The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay,
There is a gunshow coming up this weekend. I'm going to try to sell my preowned Sig 226 9mm for a M9 Beretta 9mm.

I'm going to ask $550 for the gun, original red box, padlock and two magazines, $30 each for three extra magazines, $20 each for two extra magazines with somewhat weak, but functional, springs. $220 for .22 Conversion slide and magazine kit, $15 for used plastic Fobus paddle holster.

$915 Total for the whole package.

Would y'all agree this is a fair and reasonable price for a used Pre-Owned Sig?

Thank you!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the only picture I have of the gun available right now. I guess it doesn't help very much. There is a tad of holster wear here and there on some of the corners. You can kind of see a little of it in the photo

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well. Went to the gunshow today. Every dealer I talked to said I was making a fair to great offer. The few individuals I talked to liked the deal but it wasn't what they were looking for. The first dealer I talked to I think was looking for desperate people. She said I was making a fair offer for $915. But the best she could offer was $550 for the whole thing. I respectfully passed.

I came down to $850 with a minimum of $800. One guy countered with $650. After a long pause of thought I countered with $750. He couldn't do it because he wanted to sell it fast. (My girlfriend noticed the guy had been following us around the show talking to people).

The final people I talked to I said $850. They both said that was a great offer for the whole package especially for somebody starting out as a gun enthusiast, but they had so many guns and other obligations that they couldn't. I ask them what they would be willing to pay. they shook their heads and said they already had other irons in the fire and wouldn't want to insult me but agreed it was a great offer (and had a lot of good things to say about Sig guns).

My impression from the whole show was gun dealers are looking for people who are looking for cash quickly and need money right now. Individuals are either looking for a particular gun and if yours isn't one of them, they pass. Understandable. But I'm not desperate

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think you did good to hang onto it.

The pics that I would need to see if I were interested, which I am not, but if I were I would be interested in looking down the barrel and at the area in back of the breach where the firing pin hole is. I would want to see the barrel from both ends so that I can check the rifling as well as the chamber and the feed ramp. Those three views would be most important to me. I would also want to see the recoil spring and the rod the spring rides on. While we have the weapon broken down, close ups of the slide rail on both the slide and the lower would help.

You seem like a straight up guy so you would not fit in too well with the crowd at an on line auction site that I am thinking of. I can't say the name of the site because it is forbidden on the forum. As I just recently found out. I urge you not to say it or to try to change the name of it as it will get you in trouble here. As I also found out.

However it is an option for you that you might look into selling the kit via the internet. What ever you do stick to your original price. It seemed fair to me.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Keep in mind that dealers need to make a profit. They can't give you fair market value for it and still make a profit. They have to SELL it at fair market value to get it sold and make a profit from it. Think of any standard retail store where you might buy a pair of new blue jeans from. They buy at wholesale and mark those jeans up 30%. That is standard retail markup. Gun dealers are no different though they generally have to take a less than 30% markup.

So, being offered $650 when you wanted $915 to start with is reasonable for a dealer to offer. If I were a dealer, I wouldn't have offered more. Plus, I would have sold it with 2 mags then put the 3 others up for sale as used mags to maybe make another $60-75. I probably would have ended up selling the pistol for around $750 with the holster (unless I put that up for sale separately).

Factory new I know where I can get Sig P226's in 9mm for $899. They don't come with the extra mags and probably not the holster, but those mags certainly look to have been used. That suggests a fair amount of rounds having gone through the pistol. $850 is a fair price, but not all that great - at that price I'd buy the new one at $899, find a couple used mags at not too bad a price and start with a new pistol under full warranty rather than a used one.

A dealer could end up having the pistol in inventory as well as the extra mags and holster for quite some time before getting it sold. That's money that simply stays tied up.

You have your money tied up in it. So, if you sell it as a private sale you will get a higher price for it. However, it could be 6 months before you get it sold. I do know a few places you can advertise it and I can possibly find a few local options to you for advertising it also for free. PM me and I can help you via e-mail messages.

There are some fairly strict rules here in our forum site for some very good reasons about discussing places for buying or selling firearms. I won't break them and neither should anyone else. However, if we have an e-mail discussion then this site remains safe for all of us here.

Will

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would much rather have that set up than an M9. I carried an M9 and the SIG to me is the better weapon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts