The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
.35Rem is one of the more common chamberings for the 8 & 81...so, not quite as collectible but definitely more shootable.

Fair: $200
V.G.: $600-700

.30Rem, .32Rem, and .25Rem chamberings will up the value about 10-25%, but they're a stinker to scrounge up ammo for.
That reminds me...I should dig the 81 out and take it to the range again someday. They're neat old rifles and fun to shoot!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.35Rem is one of the more common chamberings for the 8 & 81...so, not quite as collectible but definitely more shootable.

Fair: $200
V.G.: $600-700

.30Rem, .32Rem, and .25Rem chamberings will up the value about 10-25%, but they're a stinker to scrounge up ammo for.
That reminds me...I should dig the 81 out and take it to the range again someday. They're neat old rifles and fun to shoot!
Thanks--I don't think I'd ever seen one before--at least I handn't noticed it. That fat barrel caught my eye. I think I'll offer $650 and see what happens. In today's atmosphere, anything you can find ammo for should bring a premium in my mind.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was asking in response to Bindernut's comments about the relative value based on caliber. Just asking for information with no interest in valuing or selling my 1945 vintage Model 81 in that caliber. Don't have the wherewithal to do photos at this time.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I was asking in response to Bindernut's comments about the relative value based on caliber. Just asking for information with no interest in valuing or selling my 1945 vintage Model 81 in that caliber. Don't have the wherewithal to do photos at this time.
According to both the Blue Book and the online firarmspriceguide.com, a standard grade .300Savage 81 books for $250-700 Fair to V.G. condition.
If it's a Peerless or Premier (the engraved grades), value will go up towards $2000.

·
Registered
269 Posts
REL Model 8 Remington 300 Savage: Thanks for the information. Those old Remington autos and slide action rifles would cost thousands to build today. They are a mechanical marvel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts