The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
Huskies are not well-known in this country. Those of us that know 'em love 'em, and it would take large amounts of money to get ours away from us. But for the most part, people hear "Husqvarna" and think "chainsaw".

So, about the best price one could expect, when trying to sell a Husky, is around 400 bucks.

A common caliber makes it worth more. Mine is 9.3x57. It would be difficult to sell, here. 30/06 or 270 would be a heap easier.

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
By the way. Vapenfabrik - just means "weapons maker". So this should be titled, more correctly- Husqvarna ?

:p

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That is a surplus M38 (m/1938) Swedish Mauser military rifle that was sporterized. Alpo is correct that it was built at the Husquvarna "Weapons Factory". Originally would've been built from 1942 to 1944. If you ever remove the scope mount, you should be able to read the year of manufacture on the front receiver ring.
If the date is earlier than 1942, then it is a M96/38 (an M38 that was arsenal-rebuilt from an earlier M96 action)

Looking at the options, it was probably one of the Samco/Kimber sporter jobs from the early-90s.
-Ram-Line stock
-military sights removed
-drilled and tapped for scope mounts
-a rather cheap, but functional, low/side mount safety lever
-bolt handle modified for scope clearance
-Since yours still has the threaded-muzzle factory barrel, the caliber is 6.5x55. It's an excellent little cartridge for deer!
It could've been sporterized by anybody but it just plain looks like a Sarco job to me.

In the 90s when the Samco/Kimber sporters were fresh on the market, you could buy em for $175. They built em with Very Good to Excellent condition barreled actions so most of em are in really good shape are usually accurate as all get out.
Current value on a Kimber Swede sporter is only around $250-300 if they're in excellent shape and the price drops off pretty quickly as condition drops. I'd pay $200-250 for one like your rifle.

Other than the rattle-can camo paint job, yours looks like it's in pretty good shape yet.

And welcome to TFF!

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
Thank you, Bindernut. I could see that was a military barrel profile, but was locked into the "imported Huskies in the 70s, in 270 and ought six" mind-set. Did not even think about a military 96 in 6.5.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts