VC/POW's (edited mistake)

1K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
LarryJK
Senior Chief Moderator III
(7/13/01 1:15:38 pm)
| Del All VC/POW's (edited mistake)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS SHOULD NOT READ CAM RANH BAY...THIS TOOK PLACE AT LONG BINH!! MY MISTAKE!! WRONG STORY FOR THE SUBJECT. THIS SHOULD BE "VC/POW"
I JUST NOW CAUGHT IT I was reading a post on the MP BB about the VC/POW camp at Long Binh. Not any detail to the post but, what the poster did say was that the camp was on Engineer Road. Just one of those things that brought back a memory. I and several other MP's from the 557th MP Co assisted another Co of MP's in a search of the POW camp. My most vivid memory is that of the VC that were in Medical unit. We were told before we went in that we stay in pairs. Some of these POW's had canes and crutches to assist them. Our assigment was to find homemade weapons that might be in possession of the POW's. We were also told that more than likely the bedridden POW's had the weapons. They sure as hell did! We would have to raise them off the bed and there would a homemade knife or two. And talk about a smell!! Enough to make you sick! I dont recall how long we were in there but it was long enough that I can still see this one VC POW in my minds eye...a look of indifference.

THIS SHOULD NOT READ CAM RANH BAY...THIS TOOK PLACE AT LONG BINH!! MY MISTAKE!! WRONG STORY FOR THE SUBJECT. THIS SHOULD BE "VC/POW"
I JUST NOW CAUGHT IT!!!!

Edited by: LarryJK at: 7/18/01 8:12:26 am

dap22
Senior Chief Moderator II
(7/13/01 1:41:52 pm)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: Cam Ranh Bay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We used to medevac a lot of the VC and NVA with injuries to Long Binh. I can remember most seemed pretty scared since they were usually accompanied by a couple MP's. Probably scared because they knew if their answers weren't correct on the ride to Long Binh, they might prematurely exit. Or maybe they took a look at me and figured they'd rather walk????

oneknight
(7/13/01 6:12:21 pm)
| Del Re: Cam Ranh Bay
That's what I was thinking!!!!

dirty423
(7/15/01 8:33:40 am)
Dateline: Christmas Eve 1968 Cam Ranh Bay

Dirty's waiting for his freedom bird and takes time out for dinner at the Air Force mess hall. (I imagine the AF calls it a dining room)

I will never forget how good the instant sweet potatos tasted. It was my first halfway decent meal in months. I think they had turkey and other fixings too, but I had several helpings of those sweet potatos.

I put a lot of wounded prisoners on dust-offs, I'd like to think they were treated well. They were doing a job, same as me.
I don't know what sort of indoctrination they were given in training, but we must have been portrayed as monsters, we found some trying to bury themselves rather than be captured and their wounds tended.
The point of the spear

homer4
(7/17/01 4:41:43 pm)
Say Hey to ya Dirty! Glad to see ya bud...now that's one of them pardox things..."glad to see ya" clashing with my "wish he carried a bag" Hehe!. Good to see ya posting...we miss your imput bud.

Larry...there was a large POW section at Can Tho as well...seen em squatting and shuffling about...I liked to see the enemy...alot of words hurled at me...I'd a done the same if I was on the other side of the concetina and fence and towers. Can't say how they were treated.

Wouldn't have wanted your job bud...having to walk admist them. These were predominately VC and not NVA's I gathered...not suretho Lar...just figure that for being IV Corps.
...and two hard boiled eggs.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.