The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand to hunt anymore since I got sick. I have a shoot from a vehicle tag. That sounds great, but really, it's not. Getting out and walking, that is something I took for granted. As soon as I am fixed, I will never skip a little slough, or bush. I shot my deer in 2011 with my damn 40 cal hi point. Nice buck, but boring. My father in law got an elk tag, I went with. I sat in the truck and he went walking. Here comes a nice bull right up to the truck. Of course if he had been there, it never would have happened. It was cool. He didn't see anything, and he didn't believe me, until the thing came out of the trees while I was showing him pictures of it. Don't EVER take your legs for granted. My oldest son gets to hunt this year, and god willing I want to take him.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Hang in there, Rem24 -

I think we ALL are guilty of taking things for granted until something causes us to lose them.

Count your blessings, guys -

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rem24! I know what you mean about loosing the use of the legs. I have problems with both of mine. I'm still mobile, but not like I once was, not by a long shot. I'm sure that as time goes by my situation will get worse.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Best of luck to you. I hope you regain your mobility in time for next season. My uncle used to hunt with a disabled friend who had to use a blow-tube mounted on a special crossbow. I remember watching him and feeling thankful that I wasn't in the same position.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally I enjoy hunting rather it's in the vechile or out and about . I have done a little of both . Now what would really suck would not beable to hunt . I might not have the use of my legs but my wife says and I've heard her say more than 1 time he could rip your head off your shoulders with his hands . Guess my hands has doubled as my legs for 20 years and being a lineman for the power company for 18 years useing piliers with them gloves and sleeves on gave me a good grip . Most of my groundhog hunting is not in a vechile I have made a shooting table with i have mounted on a trailer . But most folks that take their varmint hunting serious have these rigs . Yes I have buried my 4x4 Van twice in the past month thats what cell phones are for. Truck van or car if you can more power to you.At least you are trying.:D

Jim
With this groundhog hunting i have that male mind set Longer is better . lol .I'm talking about the shot distance.Would be nice to hit the 500 yard groundhog this year with my Xp 100 pistol 6 BR.Hell i'll take theat score in a vechile or table it doesnt matter.:D:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my sternum cracked open to pull out cancer, like an open heart surgery thing, and the day I got out, I went out pheasant hunting. My wife said I could only use the 20 guage, but I took the 12. After every surgery I go do stupid crap. My first day of chemo, 8 hours, and after I went turkey hunting. Ended up putting myself in the hospital more times than I can count. I still haven't stopped trying to do what I used to, but it sucks when you go 50 yards from your truck bow hunting, fall over cause your legs cramp up, start having a seizure type thing, and can't move so you have to call your wife to come drag you to the vehicle

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rem I understand your stuggles damn it would be nice not to have to deal with them . You know and I know what people take for granted . I'm lucky enough to be able to do some of these things and I'm also lucky enough to have friends that care and also see the enjoyment I get from hunting . With being a lineman for the power company I dont get the invites alot of the other boys get .And it turns my stomach when they turn them up or abuse the chance to get out and enjoy . i'm lucky I have a neighbor that sees that I continue to live my life the best i can and has openned his farm which is 2000 acres for me to groundhog hunt and Dove hunt .believe me I do know what it is like not being able to do what you use to be able to mine happened over night havent stood up going on 19 years .I had my accident 6 months before C Reeves had his happened 26 miles from me ,same doctor's and all . I always said if he walks i run . Well thats never happened but i'm still here. i know it can be hard and it may not be the same but enjoy what you can take in the good times and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My knees are bad too, doc tells me if I don't lose some weight, I ain't gonna be gettin around too well, but I still get by. Don't know if they have special road hunting license here in Alaska, road hunting is a time honored tradition all over rural Alaska, same as shooting a bunch of caribou and filling up the one ton for all the old folks back in village. It's nice when your are 200 miles away from any law enforcement and the road is closed for the nx 8 months.

Our problem is they need more roads to hunt on.

Road hunting has woke me up to hunting with ARs, use a 6.8, 338 fed, and got a couple new 308s last fall. I was loading up some nosler partitions for the new Scar just a little bit ago. I have acogs with the 2 moa red dot & 8 moa horse shoe ghost ring and they are some quick shooters. I ain't no aimer. The nephew brought up a new Elcan DR 1.5-6 power, super fine glass, like the best Zeiss money can buy with a fine red dot had to be 1 moa or less it seemed. I'm already working on the ole woman, I mean my lovely wife about getting one this fall with our oil pfd checks; they must be over 2K, probably 3k cause thdey are made in Canada.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If I had to chose between vehicle hunting and not hunting I'd pick vehicle hunting every time.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, another way God says tell me your plans again. I've been blessed, had a friend with it and nothing about it was easy or fun. I'm going through bursitis and gout and complaining like a little sissy. Shame on me. God bless you guys and Gods strength.
As far as hunting from a vehicle I only did it one time. The first wife and I had visited the local canal in our 66 VW Bug. A groundhog scurried across the road and stopped on a little embankment by the road. I stuck my new model .66 S&W 4 inch out the window and drilled him. I looked over at my wife and she had the most pained look on her face I had ever seen. Poor thing couldn't hear for a week. (It was a nice shot though!)

As far as hunting with my bum knee, my biggest concern is not getting into the woods, or sitting in the blind (just bought the neatest 3D camo poncho) but dragging the critter out to the car. Sure I have a cart, and ropes, but we have a lot of blow downs and I'm not sure I can get the critters out to the car. I even have a hoist that goes into the trailer hitch. Well, we'll see. Two of my sons live close enough to come help, but both work and aren't always available. I'm still going.

Good luck you guys, post some pics after your hunt.

fred

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fairly new here, been lurking awhile, this post has gotten my attention. I am a double amputee (both legs) and have had difficulty getting back into the field.

I agree with hstout1143, that if I have to choose between no hunting and vehicle hunting, vehicle hunting wins hands down anytime. I refuse to be a victim, and I will do whatever it takes to continue doing the things I love.

Plus, being in the outdoors gives me hope and encouragement that life is not over, and that I still have a future. It's tough living life like this, but at the same time, I appreciate the "little things" even more than ever. :thumbsup:

Sorry if I seem to be rambling. Just a couple of random thoughts. Guess I'll go to bed now. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have neurological ataxia, my doc says I'm lucky to be at the stage I am ...... at my age (40ish) there are people who are confined to a chair and CAN'T hunt like me.............. the type of ataxia is still a mystery but they are sure it is ataxia........if this crap I have holds true I'd say within 5 years I'll be LUCKY to vehicle hunt!... not looking for pitty just say'n.................vehicle huntin aint so bad!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had three surgeries in a 6 month span, two of which required a central abdominal incision from the bottom of the sternum to the pelvic bone. I'm about two months out from the last one, and hoping in another month or so to be able to get more active and assess if I can try a hand at IDPA and shoot clays again. By fall I hope to be raring to go for hunting season. Hopefully no more complications arise, and things continue to heal. It's a pain, literally, but reading the posts here sure reinforces how fortunate I am.

I had a great friend who happened to be a minister. He was stricken with ALS. He was able to extend his love of motorcycles by adding a special sidecar. He was an inspiration to me then and still is.

While recovering, it's given me the chance to bone up on reloading developments and make plans, which sure helps in having positive things to think about. We're lucky to be in an age where we have the internet, not only for all the wonderful information, but also to find great people like the guys on this forum.

It's a good thing my ills are so comparatively small, I don't have near the courage and determination that is evident in you guys dealing with the really tough challenges. Sharing your stories encourages us all to appreciate what we are able to do, and keep in touch with gratitude.

A lot of people who are not hunters or fisherman may not understand the desire to be able to get out and enjoy our passion. It's just plain fun, but at least for me, it is more than that. I've never been much for attending church, though being on the water at dawn, or in a quiet woods as a snowfall comes down can be a genuinely spiritual experience, and replenishes the soul. Not much of anything more healing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, 6 months since my last post and didn't get to go hunting this year either. Starting to get a bit discouraging. At least I can still reload and go to the local gun club. Still looking for a place to hunt that is accessible and not too far from home. Thought I had a place lined up a couple years ago, but never got invited back. Guess it was a bit much having to help me so much to get set up. I don't really blame them. Maybe next season will be better. I'll be ready just in case something comes up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It must indeed be discouraging, bushrat. Glad to read you are staying positive. You never know what is around the next corner. It may not help. but wanted to ask if you thought it might be worthwhile to put your location on your profile, someone in your area might respond?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm 85,knees are shot, dickey heart so no surgery. However, I found a place owned by a timber company, 60square miles of cutover land. Miles of excellent logging roads. The company leaves their gates open from October to February. Only highway licensed vehicles allowed. I drive in, get out my lawn chair and crutches, and with luck, see some deer, grouse and turkeys. Can't walk, probably not able to drag out a deer if I shot one. But I'm enjoying being in the woods. Thanks to the generosity of a large landowner.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
One thing I have found in life you have to play the cards you are dealt. I may not be a good hand but it is what you get. My dad went blind around 62/63 years old. He could still see enough to walk around but no driving. He had to retire as a truck driver and he hated that.

He rolled with it. If you would have met him you would never know he was almost totally blind. He adapted and improvised. When this happened to him I thought he would just give up but he didn't and lived 17 more years.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts