Venting about work for a few minutes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreedomAndForgiven, Jan 11, 2017.

1. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

So I am taking a short coffee break in the studio, and am venting a bit, because I just looked over at my calendar with all my dead lines on it. I have 204 videos to get done this year with doing 4 a week, 7 singles released this year, 5 albums released this year, and daily I am supposed to post 10 pictures of our birds, at least 3 of me working in the studio, 3 tweets, and 3 posts on my Facebook page. That doesn't include shows, practicing, sound design, mixing, mastering, or even song writing. I know the couple labels I've chatted with put a huge work load on me to make sure I can handle what they will require if they sign me, but man I am up to my eyeballs in work. I am in my studio anywhere from 10 to 16 hours a day 6 days a week anymore.

I seriously wish I had the money to pay someone to fill out paperwork for me, and book my shows. It would at least get some weight off my shoulders.

Alaska444, drymag, Broot and 4 others like this.
  2. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man! were going to miss you at TFF. :(

drymag, Broot, One Shot and 7 others like this.

3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I vent about work too. Never at work though, they know I hate my job, I've told them. I don't have to like it, I just have to do it. Don't get me wrong, I still take great pride in my work, nothing gets half-arsed when I'm doing it.;)

flboots, drymag, Broot and 4 others like this.
  4. FreedomAndForgiven

I keep a tab open for here. Gives me a short break when my ears get tired or my brain shuts down. The one good thing is I have my own home studio so I am not gone totally away from my family. After about 4 hours straight of working in the studio my ears get tired, and I can't focus on the details of the music so I take a break about that often for a few minutes. If I don't my work starts sounding sloppy, and runs together.

drymag, ysacres, crystalphoto and 2 others like this.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

You need a groupie with skills ;)

6. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Gripes about work and is self employed.....hmmmmm:D

Conman, goofy, rawright54 and 5 others like this.
  7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Ya sounds like the boss is a slave driver.......

Austin, Twicepop, rawright54 and 5 others like this.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

At least he has work.. Some don't.

goofy, drymag, crystalphoto and 2 others like this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats why work is a four letter word. :)

Kippy, Twicepop, dbcooper and 4 others like this.
  10. FreedomAndForgiven

Not griping about working, but the amount of the work load. Before I started talking with labels I released a mix of 2 to 3 singles and albums a year, did about 3 videos a month, posted on social media a couple times a day, didn't take a lot of pictures, and sent out a new letter quarterly. Not super hard, but I was busy doing that.

The first picture is what I've been working on for 2 weeks now. It's Act 1 Scene 7 from Tchaikovsky the Nutcracker. Each one of those horizontal lines is a synthesizer playing that I either played by hand or programmed note by note.the second is of one of the synthesizers I use that I have to program the sound for each instrument before playing or programming the notes. Program the synthesizer for an instrument can take from 5 minutes to almost 2 hours. Recording or programming the notes for each instrument takes anywhere from about 2 hours to a week. Now mind you the picture of the ballet is drastically zoomed out. It's actually 27 instruments at 112 measures, but they won't all fit on the screen at once even when fully zoomed out. 20170110_215258.jpg 20170111_220810.jpg

dbcooper and drymag like this.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd march straight into the boss' office and lay down an ultimatum, a pay raise or I quit! :D

12. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for you that music has become a chore. Tchaikovsky ! Very layered with counter melodies in it. Just be glad its not Wagner. You might end up slashing your wrists.

Music for me is the only relief I get from my seemingly insane life as of late. I play bass guitar and compose with it original songs in many different jandra. Rock, Metal, Country Blues, a little Mozart like ditty, and some that I leave it up to other to try and figure out.

13. FreedomAndForgiven

It's still a relief for me, and I love what I do for a living. Lord knows I'd be burnt out if I didn't love music. I've been performing since I was a small child, and writing for just as long. I guess I'm more used to my own time line rather then having a very short time.

As far as the wrists. I'm a Flamenco guitarist so take that wrist concern and times it by 100. It's very easy to destroy your hands, and wrist with Flamenco guitar if you try to push yourself. I have to do basic classical, and finger style guitar warm ups for an hour before my hands are warmed up enough to start on the Flamenco warm-ups which is another hour before you can really get working on the piece you're learning or writing at the time.

I've thought about picking up am a acoustic bass if for no other reason then to use in my studio with song ideas. I did fill in one worship teams, by playing the bass.

I do keep reminding myself though that if things go as well as we are hoping I'll be able to get my churches parking lot redone, sup pump replaced, and a new drum kit for the worship team.

drymag likes this.
  14. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I have rather short I guess Trump like fingers and when I play My ESP, LTD six string bass my thumb is off the the neck so I can reach the low B string. I can only play a few songs on it before I have to go back to one of my 4 Stringers.

My style is based on such bassist as The late Chris Sqiuer, Tony Levin, or Victor Wotten. For fun I'll play along to Paco De Lucia or John McLaughlin. Specially the John, Paco, and Al album. Now that is work out. some times Lyle Mayes on his solo piano stuff.

I have to go to sleep now. Have to get at 7 AM to work out in the rain in the morning. G night.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  15. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The tendancy when working long hours is to eat poorly. It's better to not eat than fast food it. Learn the diabetic/heart/cancer style of eating and when no one is looking, eat a big honkin steak w/ lots of burnt fat. Oh wait, that's my diet. You can skip the steak and be healthy so you can enjoy your career longer.