The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I'm a new member and would like to query everyone's historical knowledge regarding a Colt 1911 I purchased in Germany. Long story short, in 1997 I bought a 1911 at the Hanau Rod & Gun Club outside of Frankfurt Germany. The seller had several supposed "English Order" 1911's but they were pretty beat up and I couldn't verify they were authentic. The model I did purchase is pictured below along with a copy of the Colt letter. It had what I thought was a parkerized finish but I believe now that it's a phosphate coating. I didn't think much about it until recently when I requested a search of the Colt archives and found that my model shipped to the Russian Government on March 31, 1916. It is a commercial model and doesn't have the typical markings or hallmarks of other "English Order" Colt's I've seen.
Can you all give me an idea of its value? Also, should I do anything to the phosphate finish as far as removal to determine if there are some makings hidden below?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very interesting pistol. If pistols could talk I would imagine it would have an interesting story to tell. I wonder if the Russkies parked it?
I for one wouldn't do anything to the finish.
As for value I have no idea, but 1911's of that vintage are going for hi $$ and with the Colt letter it's anyones guess.
Thanks for posting.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I'm not sure any of us here can give you an accurate value estimate. Certainly it will sell for $2000 plus. I suggest you contact one of the auction companies to have them value it then, if you want to sell it hand it over to them on consignment. The auction houses typically get 10-20% of the sale price but they will definitely get a very decent price for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WHSmithIV, do you have any recommendations? I'm not sure I'm ready to sell but maybe they can do an appraisal for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The finish reminds of some British Victory Model revolvers I have seen. A collector called it a "Suncorite" finish, I believe. I think it was done post-WWII.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a guess at value? I realize the finish is gone and there aren't the usual marking but it is a verified English Order Colt.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Unfortunately collector value comes with originality. There are a number of things about that gun aren't original, so don't get your hopes too high....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts