The Firearms Forum banner

very new at reloading need info on what I have

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Appliancedude 
#1 ·
looked on youtube for a couple of weeks to get the basics on how to operate things when you buy a starter reloading kit. I ended up getting Lee Deluxe Kit. My first problem I am having is that when I read the directions from the Die kit is that the powder I bought is not anywhere on there (Hodgdon Hybrid-100). I bought Barnes TSX bullets, Winchester shellcases, and a Nosler reloading guide 6. As most of you know from reading this so far.........I definitely didn't match things up when I bought all this. So I am trying to find out whether or not I can use what I have to make things work. That or I would like to be guided in the right direction what to get. Ill stop there for now till I get some answers and thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
G'day and welcome Bam Bam

ok 1st up what cartridges are you wanting to reload

nothing wrong with the Lee's

also

this is my data site

a heap of reloading info there different books and beginners info on reloading

http://jack404.minus.com/uploads

help yourself

this is the reloading folder

http://jack404.minus.com/mM4hmczwF

grab the ADI loaders guide , Australian Defence Industries partner with hodgson so have all their data in that book ;)

and the Hodgson basic guide is there too

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I am reloading 270 winchester. I fiddled with the press and when trying to crimp my first bullet.......i feel like it didnt crimp or atleast it doesnt looked crimped

my TSX bullets are 130 grain and of the Die sheet I have, it only shows:
a-xmr-4350
a-xmr-3100
accur-2700
a-xmr-4064
...................like I posted before I am Using Hodgdon Hybrid-100.......so how do I find out how much powder to use? or should I get one of the 4 I listed above?

#5 ·
ok .270 Win

target load or hunting ?

never mind the suggested powder types thats a brand thing . grab the hodgdon books and see what they say

or if you accept a load i'll pull up a proven ( Sporting Shooters Association of Australia ) load , these aint the hottest but are stable and known .. and have been tested at lithgow here and got the PC approval needed for load data here

#6 ·
specs for hybrid -100

This powder is the result of combining the technologies of spherical powders and extruded propellants. The chemistry of a spherical powder is combined with the geometry of an extruded propellant, creating a smooth-metering, super short granule extruded shaped propellant with high energy. HYBRID 100V has a burn speed between H4350 and H4831, yeilding superb performance in such popular calibers as 270 Winchester, 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum and dozens more.

#8 ·
target since Illinois doesnt allow rifle hunting besides coyotes. should I order a Barnes reloading guide or Hodgdon reloading guide? I feel whichever one i pick I should veer that way with buying bullets, powder ext. But I am also confused because I dont know if Barnes or Hodgdon sells both bullets and powder and whatever else I may need to make things seem easier

#9 ·
:) the page you just wanted me to look at definitely helped. thanks. I can read all the stuff I need to but I have noticed the best way I learn is by having a person right next to me showing me things so it is definitely going to be a slow process since I dont know anyone personally that can help

#10 ·
most of the info is online at brand name sights , load a bit low and work it up to be safe , ALWAYS and always compared 5-6 loads from different places and use the lowest as a start

ensure they are specific about your powder and projectile and go from there

check everything 4-5 times until you know what your doing

it's not hard bt being cautious pays

as for crimping

is the round seated solidly? can you pull it out easy ??

#12 ·
the 1 bullet that I actually got the seat all the way wont move at all. that tells me it is crimped to a certain degree (i believe). But i guess what I was looking for was some sort of (crimped) metal which I dont see. So is that bullet good to go if it doesnt come out but doesnt looked like anything is crimped?

#14 ·
You should not need to crimp for the 270 Win bolt action.

Here is how to set up your seating die to avoid the crimp feature.

Take a sized piece of 270 brass(no bullet) and place it in the shell holder.

Screw the seating die into the press a few turns.

Raise the ram all the way to the top.

Turn the seating die into the press until you feel it make contact with the sized case.

Lower the ram and back the seating die OUT of the press at least one full turn.

Tighten the lock ring.

#15 ·
I'm just gonna add my own thoughts.

I tend to steer clear of reloading guides put out by manufacturers. I use Lyman. h4831 is my powder of choice for my 270. To me a bullet is a bullet is a bullet. Find the one you like and then find a recipe for it. I use 130 spbt. To me, in my gun, these gave me the best grouping. And I don't care what brand I get as long as they are 130gr spbt. Don't get caught up in well I bought hodgson bullets so I have to use their powder. Typically I use cci primers, whatever shell I have on hand, 57 gr. H4831 powder, and a speer 130gr spbt. But I've also used berger, and sierra bullets as well. They all fly straight. The flat bottom bullets to me don't group as well as the boat tails. But thats just my experience with them.

#16 ·
I would agree in using data from different bullets of same weight and similar construction. It's the only way. However, using data of same weight bullet of different construction can be a problem. An example would be using SP jacketed data when loading an all copper bullet like the Barnes. These solid bullets often times require their own specific data.

#17 ·
I would agree in using data from different bullets of same weight and similar construction. It's the only way. However, using data of same weight bullet of different construction can be a problem. An example would be using SP jacketed data when loading an all copper bullet like the Barnes. These solid bullets often times require their own specific data.
True, I forgot about the all copper bullets. I believe you are 100% correct, they do need their own data

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.