The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this piece of pipe out in the scap pile so I thought I would try my hand at building a black powder cannon...I started with a piece of what I believe to be schedule 120 seamless pipe about 3 feet long and welded two 3/8s plates over the end and decided to test it before I did any more to it, so I put 250 grains of my powder in it and tamped a newspaper wad over it and boom! She barks pretty good! I went up to 350 but it was blowing the powder out before it could burn up...so 250 seems to be the sweet spot so far, we also fashioned some projectiles from hedge that we got nearly 350 yards out of!......there are some dirty words in this one so if that might offend you...dont watch...but if you want to see something extremely cool...check it out!
http://youtu.be/FvVB_7O86ZA

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Cool Dude.....:eek:
Let us know what the BATF men said to you...... if some bodies bailed you out already. :p

Be very careful, you wouldn't be the 1st ho-made cannon builder to get hurt.
Last one I heard of his son got killed by a piece of shrapnel when the tube blew up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe as long as it is Black powder and being a muzzle loader Im alright....and yea I keep the loads pretty low considering size...and the projectile bit, I guess they could come after me...for shootin sticks! lol I believe those guys have bigger fish to fry than some hillbilly makin loud booms out in the woods!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Yer killin me brushy. Can't wait to see the finished product. You might have to go into production.:D

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I knew a couple of guys that were both very accomplished machinists that built a couple of black powder cannons. One had a bore of .75" the other a 1.00" bore. I don't recall the charges they used, but they made everything for them in their shops. They bored and reamed the stainless steel billets for the barrels. They made the bullet molds for casting the projectiles. The made the Naval style carriges for mounting the barrels, they did it all. One the stories they told about shooting them, was at a junk car at about 400-500 yards. The projectiles went right through the cars and were never recovered. Another story about shooting the larger of the two, was at an old outside privy at close to 1000 yards. They found the spot where the projectile has struck the ground, after passing through the outhouse. After digging for about 4-5 feet down, following the hole in the ground, they gave up and never recovered this projectile either. Another story, several years back Guns and Ammo Magazine did a piece about shooting a black powder cannon. Again, I can't say what the charge was, but the projectile was a tennis ball. It was slit open with an exacto knife, filled with shot, sealed with hot glue, and soaked in vegtable oil for a bullet lube. I seem to remember they notified the local Sherrifs office, and ATF of their plans to shoot this thing. With the current political climate, checking with the law should be the first thing to do.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
However it works out, I sure hope you finish it into a completed item and would love to see it. Put some wheels on it! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im thinking the carriage is going to be the most interesting and fun, Im hoping to make it look like the real deal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The one thing you should not do is mix black powder and pyrodex, trust me but don't ask how I know. I have a ships cannpon 1.25in bore, it will shoot a 6oz lead ball a good half mile, with a 2oz power charge.
I have been told that I will be taking a class for artillery net year. Want to buy a cannon with a 3.4in bore, 12pound ball.

peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts