Videotaped by satellite...can this be true?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, May 5, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

OK, here is the story as told to me by a co-worker. He said an acquaintance of one of his friends had a little run-in with the law while illegally fishing for red snapper a couple of weeks ago in the Gulf of Mexico. The snapper season is not open yet, but this guy caught a good many of them anyway, and thought he could outwit the authorities by filleting the fish while still well out to sea, then hiding the fillets in zip lock bags and stashing them in a duffel bag on board. On his way in, he was stopped and checked. I don't know if it was the Coast Guard or conservation officials doing the checking. The officer checking him said, "I'm going to ask you one time, and it will be in your best interest to be truthful. Do you have any illegal fish on board your boat?" The guy, sensing they knew something, fessed up to the illegal snapper. The officer supposedly said, "good thing you were truthful". He then showed the fisherman a video on a laptop. The video showed the man fishing, then filleting the snapper on board, then throwing the carcasses overboard where they could be seen drifting away. Supposedly, the video was shot from a satellite, and it showed time, date, and GPS coordinates of the guys boat.
    I understand satellite imagery is good enough to make out car license plates from space, so I suppose video is also possible. I was surprised that it would be used for fishing regulation enforcement. I guess if it were the Coast Guard, they would have access to such imagery.
    You guys think this story is possible? Ever hear similar stories?

2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the technology, but what it is more interesting to me is that these "authorities" would tip their hand by letting people know what kind of survalence they are capable of.

I would think stuff like that would be classified. I don't know about this one.

3. Shooter973

Shooter973 New Member

It could have come from a Predator drone. They are being used more and more to watch for drug smugglers and fence jumpers.:rolleyes:

4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    If it did happen, we now know where some of our tax-payer money went. The amount of money needed to do such imagery to catch a fisherman would be up in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It reminds me of that movie, "Enemy of the State" where they could zoom in on Will Smith and watch him jump from building to building. If all this is possible, why don't we just zoom in on bin Laden? Why don't we keep an eye out for real bad guys, not just those catching snapper out of season? It probably has some truth to it, but would they employ it to catch some poachers of fish? Why not poachers of elephant or rhinos or gorillas? TJ

5. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I dunno
    I would think if it was so good they would have found the 3 lost football players last month a whole lot quicker and 2 lives would have been saved!
    Sounds a little 'fishy' to me!
    just my 2cents.

6. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Then again, could it have been from a Sat? You bet ya. Probable it came from a sat? not likely

7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Doesn't suprise me in the least.
    We have NO idea what our technology is.

Ever Google Earthed your house? I can find my car in a couple locations.
    If Google can do it?:eek::rolleyes:

8. XShooter

XShooter New Member

Sure it can be true. Satellite technology is being used by law enforcement (not just federal) more and more these days. It's even been used to investigate, at least, one "hit and run" that I know about in the northeast. It has gotten to the point that, unless you have a roof over your head, there is a really good chance there is some type of camera on you!

9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

A few years ago, the Microsoft TerraServer freaked me out, it was allegedly comprised of Russian satellite photos of the US. I'm sure the technology is much more fine-tuned now.

10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

They were not using a satellite. This is beyond the resolution of any satellite that mere mortals have access to. Satellites can't loiter unless they are geosynchronous and they are so far away, 23 Kmiles they can't resolve detail. Maybe a drone. Maybe a tall tale.

11. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would have to agree with Lori. Or weapons of mass destruction and Bin Laden are not as important to our government as few poached red snapper? They for sure have their priorities messed up but God help us all if is it that bad.

Ron

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  12. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would have to agree with Lori. Or weapons of mass destruction and Bin Laden are not as important to our government as few poached red snapper? They for sure have their priorities messed up but God help us all if it is that bad.

Ron

13. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Back in the 60s, the sensors and recon equipment on the SR-71 could read a pack of cigarettes from pretty high up. It wouldn't suprise me at all. What does suprise me is that the gov't would waste time, money, and tech on enforcing fishing regs:rolleyes: Have those satellites orbit over Afghanistan and Pakistan and look for Obama....er...sorry, I meant Osama's :p sorry rearend.

14. XShooter

XShooter New Member

They could get the location of the boat, they could get a guy with a fishing pole, but to actually be able to see that he is filleting red snapper or see fish guts floating on the sea does seem kind of far fetched.

15. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If you want to see your house by satellite try this link. I won't even let you go in to the closest zoom and you can still get a pretty good view. If we can do this for free on the internet just think what they can do.

http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx