Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Vintage Rifle I.D.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DreddEmpire, Nov 28, 2016.

1. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Hi guys,
    first time poster here. I'm wanting to identify these rifles which were found in the bottom of my Grandmothers cupboard recently. I believe they've been in the family for 100 yrs (or more). I'm in Australia and I'm aware this is predominately a US forum so the stock markings maybe bamboozling to most but hoping someone out there might know. Apoligies the pics arnt the greatest but had to be condensed for file size.
    Questions 1. The broad arrow on the stock means it was made for military purposes and the S underneath the arrow means it was 'sold off' to the civilian market after its usefulness as a military rifle had expired. N.S.W means New South Wales which is a state in Australia.
    What do the letters on either side of the arrow mean? Also I'm assuming A-194 is the rifles serial number?

Question 2. Can anyone identify these rifles (even though pics are poor) I'm in the process of organising better ones.

Cheers guys and thanks in advance.

D

Attached Files:

2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

One of your rifles is a rolling block, most likely a Remington.
    The other , I don't know.

We need much clearer pics in order to give more information.

3. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Thanks yep I know the pics arent much chop but working on that. Rifles are at my Dads place 900 kms from me. Not familiar with Rolling Block rifles but will do some googling. Cheers

4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Tentatively I agree with gr, #3 appears to be a Rolling Block. There is approximately 3,621 Rolling Block variations....and I exaggerate, but there is a lot of them; Egyptian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, American and no doubt others.

Picture #4 appears to be an Alex. Henry single shot rifle. The inspiration for the Ruger #1. They can be highly desirable and equally expensive but the condition on that one looks pretty rough so don't get too excited.....yet.

grcsat likes this.
  5. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Thanks sharps4590
    I couldn't figure out picture 4#
    Guess its old age and loss of memory.
    We'll know for sure when we get some nice clear pictures.

6. sharps4590

7. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Thanks mate, received a few more pics from Dad today. I looked at the Alex Henry's online and the barrel seems to be different to this one. Any advise on what this is is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Got some more pics mate.

Attached Files:

9. sharps4590

Dredd, I have no idea other than the action. I have never seen a Henry single shot action made as other than a sporting rifle and that one has a definite military appearance to it. The pictures are still too far away from the rifle to provide much clarity and they're too dark. Legible pictures of the proof marks will tell something, if there are any, and the rifle will probably have to be disassembled to see them. Usually they are on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the action. I apologize I can't tell you more.

I have learned just a tiny bit about photography in the last couple days, probably enough to be dangerous. Usually my pictures are worse than those. What I can tell your Dad is the background is too white and it makes the rifle appear quite dark. A green or dark tan background with the pictures taken outside out of direct sun should greatly enhance the rifle rather than the background.

10. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Thanks mate, from what
    Cheers mate. Just found this online which looks very much like the one at Dads. If it is a New South Wales military Alex Henry, That would explain the NSW markings on the stock. Apparently the NSW colonial contingent fought in the Sedan in 1885 and were the only military in the world to use these rifles according to the link to the Australian War Memorial.
    https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A05526/

Attached Files:

Big Mak likes this.
  11. sharps4590

I'll be a son-of-a-gun, never knew that rifle existed. Goes to show one is never too old to learn. I'd say you at least found out what it is.

Big Mak likes this.
  12. DreddEmpire

DreddEmpire New Member

Yeah, I think were well and truly on the right track. :)

13. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Like sharps4590, I never knew that rifle was ever used by the military.
    I can't wait for the next set of pictures.