Virus Alert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Predator Ridge
    (3/5/03 9:17:02 pm)
    Reply Virus Alert
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Received this from a friend

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it.

PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER.

IT IS REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY..... THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11.

(.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL.......

BIG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor"

It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person.

A friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!

Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries(.dll files) from your computer

SouthernMoss
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 9:26:02 pm)
    Re: Virus Alert
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This one is a hoax. See:
    securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wtc.survivor.hoax.html

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 9:38:12 pm)
    Reply Bourbon legends
    Snopes says the same thing -

(Copy and pasted)
    Virus name: WTC Survivor

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

(FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER......WHICH MAKES THIS VIRUS REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY.....THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL.......
    BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.

If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. This is a serious one.

Origins: Quick on the heels of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center came the "WTC Survivor" virus hoax. Although a virus could be harbored in a mail message bearing any subject line the sender chose, there was never a rash of disabled computers or deleted DLL files caused by e-mail messages titled "WTC Survivor" -- this one was a hoax from the very beginning.

Additional information: WTC Survivor
    (Symantec Security Response)
    WTC Survivor
    (McAfee Virus Information Library)

Last updated: 5 March 2002

The URL for this page is www.snopes.com/computer/virus/wtc.htm
    Click here to e-mail this page to a friend
    Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2003
    by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson
    This material may not be reproduced without permission

Seems like just about anything you recieve in your e-mail these days that recommends you forward it to everybody you know is probably a hoax. Any time I get anything like this, I always go to Snopes Urban Legend site to see what they have to say about it.

Predator Ridge
    (3/5/03 9:41:52 pm)
    Reply Re: Bourbon legends
    Thanks you all--sorry about the false alert

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 10:31:54 pm)
    Reply Re: Bourbon legends
    No problemo. This sort of thing happens all the time.

We all just kinda look out for each other, ya know. When we see something being passed around that ain't quite right, we like to make sure that everybody knows what the scoop is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.