The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think is a better overall gun to purchase, a MKIII modified by volquartsen or S&W 41? Which will hold its value more? I know the Rugers are loved, but I'm partial to the M41.

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Both should hold their value IMO. Both are excellent pistols also. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Have you shot both? If not try to. I think I would enjoy either.....would prefer to have both though. :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
depends if we are talking about used or new pistols.the value should be about the same with smith possible edging out ruger by a slim amount.i have owned both but the ruger will eat whatever you feed it and the smith will not.if we are talking about used,i have seen and also sold some target pistols that were wore out as far as competition but still great plinkers. old semperfi

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would say the MKIII if you want a pistol more forgiving of what you feed it

My question is, why would you pay this much for a pistol and then want to run the cheapest ammo through it? :)

The M41 has one great advantage over the Ruger, two actually, the first being if it breaks...YOU can buy the parts and fix it.
It is a very conventional design.

The second is that the receiver and grip frame on the Ruger are two pieces.
Everytime you remove that receiver you increase the tolerances between it and the grip frame.

This problem is easily solved by installing the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit, but only me and a few other hard core crazies do this. ;)

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

(All my MkII's have this conversion.)

Both are great guns...

....but if I had to choose, I think I'd go with the M41 because it is just so easy to work on.

IMHO. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I love my MKIII as it is...just put some Hogue wraparound grips on it and I swear its a hand held rifle...I will never part with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts