W H Hamilton Double Barrel Shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Shrek73, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

I inherited this W H Hamilton double barrel shotgun a few years ago. When I received it, the wrist was broken and had tape holding it together. It was missing the firing pins, left hammer, and the trigger guard. The rear trigger was bent backwards where it wouldn't function. The right hammer screw is stripped and pops out whenever the trigger is pulled. There is also a wobble in the action, which was probably caused by firing smokeless shells thru it years ago.

A few years ago, I found some W H Hamilton parts on eBay and put them on it, without fitting anything. I also epoxied the wrist area together, but didn't clean it up very much. I have run out of projects, and decided to put some effort into this old shotgun to improve it's appearance. I realize this is a black powder gun and will never shoot it, but would still like to get it back into functioning condition.

From what I have learned this was a cheap Belgium import shotgun that was made anywhere between 1880's and 1920's or so. Can someone help identify the barrel markings to narrow down the year of manufacture? I know the EGL is a Belgium proof marking, and there are variations. Any other information would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

One Shot likes this.
  2. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Not trying to be smart or anything but just google Belgian proof marks and you can decipher all those.

Shrek73 likes this.

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That shotgun has nice clean lines, a friend and I used one very similar in the back half of the 1950's to hunt swamp rabbits ( hares ) down around Dundee Florida. Yep, still have all my fingers and eyes:)

joe45c and Shrek73 like this.
  4. Shrek73

I tried to help someone decipher the Belgian proof marks on this forum a while back and was corrected fairly quickly...;)

joe45c likes this.
  5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've got a similar one in about the same condition that says Hartford Fire Arms Co. Bad stock, loose lockup but mostly there. When I get enough ambition I'm going to start whittling on a new stock. Right now it's a wall hanger.
    IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1749.JPG

6. Shrek73

I broke everything down and started to epoxy the holes and cracks in the stock.

I took apart the firing pin assemblies. The ends of firing pins had mushroomed from years of dry firing and discovered two different firing pins. These were not original to my shotgun, because the firing pin assembly had been removed long ago, before I received it.

Are the firing pins free floating or is there supposed to be a spring? Which is the correct firing pin? I will probably need to make them since the overall length was reduced by the mushrooming. Any idea which pin is correct? The one that is not tapered would back out of the assembly about 1/2" or so, but would not come out, which makes me think they might have free floated.

Attached Files:

7. One Shot

Mine are floating but I'm not sure if they are supposed to.

8. Shrek73

Is there a chance you could pull one of the firing pins and take a picture with a ruler? I am not sure which pin is the correct one, and will probably need to make new pins. It would be greatly appreciated.

9. Shrek73

Is the damascus pattern visible in your barrels? I have read about several methods to expose the pattern, and was thinking about doing it; however, I don't know if these cheaper Belgian double barrels would have a visible pattern. My barrel are plum brow and I can't see any pattern...

10. One Shot

Mine does not have any proof marks indicating it is Belgian and I'm not sure about it being Damascus barrels either. It may be a little newer than yours.

Shrek73 likes this.
  11. One Shot

I haven't tried to take mine out but I can give it a try.

Shrek73 likes this.
  12. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

The one I have that I believe to be Belgian is a bit older. Mine is side lever with rear facing locks. It has "London fine twist" stamped on the barrel rib.
    In order to see the Damascus pattern, the barrel should be polished and rust blued. That plumb brown look is from years of rust.

Shrek73 likes this.
  13. One Shot

Looks like a totally different set up. Two pieces came out.
    IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1751.JPG

joe45c likes this.
  14. Shrek73

Thank you for taking the time to do that! The bushing looks to be similar in design, but the pins are defiantly different.

joe45c and One Shot like this.