The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this shotgun and am wondering about it's value and actual manufacturer. The stock looks like it is cracked completely around near the gun housing but it is not loose. The butt plate is one piece of metal with two attaching screws. There are dual hammers and the striker pins seem to work. The barrel release lever is on the left side. Between the barrels has London Fine Twist on it. There does not appear to be any serial number anywhere. There are several proof markings on the barrel and lower receiver that may be either English or Belgium from what I can ascertain. I have read about how there were many knock-offs and am wondering if this may be one of them. Thank you

Attachments

· Premium Member
18,493 Posts
Nope, not a Belgian knock off. That's a real Wm. Moore double, maybe. Those are British proofs.

Wm. Moore could well have made it. Then it could have been made "for the trade" by any of several makers in Birmingham. I didn't look up to see where Moore was and if those are London or Birmingham proofs but that often didn't matter. Birmingham makers would sometimes send their guns to London just to have the prestige of having been proofed there.

· Premium Member
18,493 Posts
I can give you my opinion of a range of dates, which you probably already suspect. I'd guess 1870's-1880's.

Value, well, it would help to see the entire gun, top, bottom and both sides

1 - 6 of 6 Posts