Wait, I thought guns were evil???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluesea112, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I find it extremely hypocritical that the media supports the use of guns when snipers use them, but attacks the idea of a private citizen use of guns for self defense.

They keep saying it was a miraculous long range shot at 30 meters. This shows the sheer ignorance most people have of firearms. I would be impressed if the snipers had been blind folded and had both hands tied behind their back. For God sake, 30 meters is essentially point blank. Send them out to 500 meters with 10 foot seas and I would be impressed.

As I am writing this I hear on the television that the pirates were hanging out of the windows of the lifeboat waving to the pirate that was standing on the deck of the U.S. destroyer.

"Job well done" - yes......."Miraculous" - Not even close.

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

pitching rolling @ deck 30 meters is one hell of a shot. it wasn't done from a bench rest at the local range. have a couple of your buddies grab and shake your shooting bench while your trying to put a round in the kill zone at 30 meters and see how that works for you.

3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The shots were made nearly simultaniously at targets bouncing in a life boat by shooters 30 meters away also bouncing and listing on a raft make killing head shots. I don't know where you come from but this was not a walk in the park shooting. I doubt that 90% of the worlds shooting population could make these shots especially with a hostage in the mix. This was shooting done by extemely well trained marksman and the results show it.

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well..first of all that 30 meter shot was at night and all three shots were fired simultaneously from a ship to a target that was also in the water.

Looking at this as just another 30 meter shot is kinda like comparing a carrier landing to everyday airport landings. Not quite as easy.

You have to look at an operation like this in it's entirety. They pulled it off (the planning and execution) and I'm thrilled.

Now, as for those critical of a private citizen using a firearm in self defense; that isn't the issue. I haven't heard a lot of criticism after the fact for a legitimate self defense use of firearms. The gun grabbers think that if they take all of our guns then those who would misuse them in criminal acts wouldn't have them either and they believe that's a necessary regulation to protect all law abiding citizens. They are wrong of course, but we shouldn't misrepresent our opponents argument. To do so is akin to underestimating your enemy...a dangerous thing. JMO

Just a slight correction to the above. I now hear them saying that the shots were made from another life boat, not the ship. I had kinda wondered how the ship was able to get that close.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

As I said at the end of my post...."job well done". However, I prefer to save the definition of a miracle for the truly miraculous.

6. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I think the craziest thing is what I heard last night.

In an interview, and please forgive me for forgetting the names....

Asked... How come our sailors aren't armed so they can protect themselves?

Answer... Because the ports they dock in don't allow possession of arms....

duh!

It happens on land....it happens on the sea.... disarm us, and the criminals have the upper hand....

Are they so blind they can't see???? sigh

7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well come on now, they were only SEALS. If you want miracles you gotta use Marines. :D:D:D

8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

9. islenos

islenos Active Member

Yep, most people do not realize that the Seals are just the Navy's attempt to reverse-engineer a Marine

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

im just glad they were able to diffuse the situation without the loss of the hostage.

11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I really don't care if the shots were fired from 30 meters or 300; from a boat or from the fantail of the ship; in daylight or the 'dead' (sorry!) of night.

Something went well.

In these days, that, in and of itself, is cause for rejoycing.

12. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Looks like training pays off. I'd be happy to make the shot, no matter what the range. I'm just glad Bamo let the military do what it does best, kill the bad guys. TJ

13. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

If a gun was used by a civilian (not military or police) and is being portrayed by the media, this is the model:

Attached Files:

14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Where can I get one?:)

15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I've personally, with an m-14 on semi. on the deck of a ocean going mine-sweeper, in 10 ft. swells. Sank a 50 gal. drum half filled with water
    350 yrds. out. Granted it was 40 rounds in 28 seconds, and i'm not a trained buds buddie. But you equate that with the distance they were shooting and the understanding that when you live on board ship you're body naturally learns to compensate for the movement of the sea. It was surgical, and precise. They were only waiting for them all to be exposed at the same time. stupid pirates.