Walleye help

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by zkovach, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member Supporting Member

im hitting Canada again next year and its more of a walleye, smallmouth, and pike type place. I've jigged for them in the past with leaches and have done ok. I'm interested in other ways to fish for them. I've heard guys use bottom bouncer sticks with a crawler harness trolling. That's about it. Any suggestions?

joe45c likes this.
  2. Ksman75

Ksman75 Well-Known Member

We used to get them in Kansas on night crawlers...

shootbrownelk likes this.

3. zkovach

Anybody else? I'm buying some harnesses from m77 but am looking for other trolling help I guess.

On harnesses, bobbers, bottom bouncers? Can you be more specific? Always looking for different ways to fish. I get bored jigging for 5 days and need to do other things. I guess I like trying different things and learning what works best for the lake. When I do it's usually time to go home lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
    m77user likes this.
  4. Ksman75

Ksman75 Well-Known Member

That was way back in the '70s, but as I remember, we would float them about 6" to a foot, in about 8 to 10 feet of water, maybe as deep as 15'. We were in a back cove at the local corps of engineers dam/lake, bank fishing. Never caught a single one trolling.

zkovach likes this.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

You can try crank baits, stick baits (Rapals), Spoons, Spinner baits, or inline spinners. They involve a lot of casting but will produce fish. Do NOT try surface lures. I don't think i have ever heard of anyone catching a Walleye on surface baits!

6. zkovach

Just a heads up I bought some of m77user’s walleye night crawler and minnow harnesses. These are phenomenal! Very good parts and pieces went into these and you can tell a lot of care and craftsmanship went into them. I contacted him and said just send me 80 bucks worth and it was in the mail in a day or two. Great rigs at a great price. He also pm’ed me on the best way to set up and use these which was great. My big walleye trip is not till May next year but I’ll probably it another order in soon given I have been handing them out and have a bunch of kids coming with me this year.... I better have a bunch given the kids.

Again great guy for this forum with good info! Cheers m77user and I’ll be getting some more shortly

Shooter45, Broot, m77user and 4 others like this.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Dad and I used to fish lakes north of Quebec. Find a log jamb and jig along side with cut bait. Never had a problem catching our limit. Walleye like deep cold water.

joe45c likes this.
  8. zkovach

We’re gonna do a fair amount of jigging I’m guessing. I usually tip with a leech or minnow. Never tried cut bait... I’ll give it a shot

howlnmad likes this.
  9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

On Lake Erie they use a lure called an Erie Deerie (sp). It's a weight forward lure that has a single hook which can be tipped with nite-crawler or minnow. They come in different weights & different colors. On Lake Erie they are used while drifting by casting off the side of a boat, counting down it's drop & reeling it in. The bite usually comes when the lure makes the turn to go from side to back. I've used them on other lakes from the western basin of Erie to Lake McConaughy in Nebraska. They do catch Walleye. My guess is that they will be effective on any lake that supports a good population of Walleye's & Small Mouth Bass with deeper water.

If your not into live bait presentations, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of artificial crank baits, swim baits, soft plastic baits, etc. That are designed specifically for Walleye's, but IMHO, do a better job of catching fishermen than fish.

10. zkovach

I totally forgot about those! What size do u think? 3/8’s or 5/8’s? Also this lake has monster smallmouth

Daffyd likes this.
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I like to have some of each size. Depending on the wind & current the rate of drift will change how fast the lure drops. I like to have it drop about 1 foot per sec. so I can count one thousand, two thousand, etc. Walleye prefer to stay in their comfort zone so you need to find out what that is & counting down the drop works good for me. I suppose you could use some marked line but counting is cheaper.

joe45c likes this.
  12. Daffyd

Daffyd Well-Known Member

It's Erie Dearie! I used to go on Walleye Charters, and that's all I'd use. We'd limit out every trip.

http://www.eriedearie.com/

joe45c likes this.
  13. zkovach

So it looks like a caster and spin/flutter retrieve back to the boat?

Daffyd likes this.
  14. dstegjas

dstegjas Active Member

I used to fish Lake Erie years ago for Walleye and Smallmouth. I really miss those day, it was a blast.

Smallmouth loved Reef Runner crank baits. Specifically the minnow baits.
    http://www.reefrunnerlures.com/onlinestore/

They also loved tube baits with a 3/4 oz. jig. In fact that was my best bait I fished with for them. Just cast it out and bounce it off the bottom. If you buy the tube bait big enough for the tip of the hook to just fit inside. It will be weedless and let you fish the vegetated areas.

The erie dearie has always been the go to bait for walleye. If you are interested in pike. We use to go up to a lake in Canada and use dare devil spoons to catch them. If I remember right, they really liked the red and white ones.

Jim

joe45c likes this.
  15. Stonewall1611

Stonewall1611 Member

I have caught them on jigs with nightcrawlers and on regular line with a bobber with nightcrawlers in Wisconsin. That is the only part I enjoy about having to go to WI....

zkovach likes this.