The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get into stores often but today I drove to a Walmart 25 miles from home in a smaller town because I didn't think they'd be as busy as the two Walmarts nearer home. We needed a new coffee maker and a new deep fryer. Both of the ones we had decided to roll over and die this weekend.
Being unfamiliar with this store my wife and I happened upon the sporting goods section. A quick glance at their gun storage cabinet told me they didn't have much in stock. Probably spaces for 20 or more guns but there were only 3 in the whole case. Under the case were shelves with glass doors where the ammo would normally be kept. Not one box of ammo on the shelves. There were signs aplenty on the cabinetry stating " Sales limited to one box of ammunition per person per day". I'd guess they didn't have to fear anyone getting upset as there was nothing to buy anyway.
A young fellow stepped behind the counter and politely asked if he could help me. I asked him if they had any other guns in stock or was this what they had. He said that was their entire inventory. He did ask if I was looking for anything in particular and I did reply, I might be interested if they had a Savage "At-One" in stock. He promptly said no they didn't and didn't think they'd ever had one. He did say someone else had asked earlier in the day. I couldn't fault this young man, he was just answering my questions as honestly as he knew how. He did offer to check their supplier and see if one was available but I told him I was just kicking tires while my wife was over in the next isle shopping for something else. He also apologized for not being familiar with the sporting goods section as he was filling in for someone else who had gone home sick.
I have no idea of how many guns or how much ammo is normally stocked in this store but you'd think there would be more than I saw there. Even being somewhat remote this is a busy store most of the time.
I'll have to check it out again the next time I'm in that direction.
In the meanwhile as I was typing this my coffee has brewed, my wife fixed it and served it to me so the edge I developed this coffeeless morning is wearing off.
Happy New Year!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get lucky every now and then. :) View attachment 264878
Bonanza!
It makes you wonder if everything they have to go through to source guns and ammo isn't worth their while. I'm sure the clerks get roughed up a bit from unhappy shoppers too. There are a lot of Walmart stores out there. Imagine trying to fully stock each one today. You can't sell what you can't get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bonanza!
It makes you wonder if everything they have to go through to source guns and ammo isn't worth their while. I'm sure the clerks get roughed up a bit from unhappy shoppers too. There are a lot of Walmart stores out there. Imagine trying to fully stock each one today. You can't sell what you can't get.
My local store remodeled recently, and I was told they would no longer, carry reloading supplies, guess this was sent to them by mistake. It followed me home. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My local store remodeled recently, and I was told they would no longer, carry reloading supplies, guess this was sent to them by mistake. It followed me home. :)
Can you really blame them? I wonder how many times daily they get asked where the primers, powder and bullets are? Then the clerk takes the guff because the store doesn't have any.

·
GUNZILLA
8,383 Posts
3 walmarts within my area . They usually have 3 or 5 guns in the case but little to no ammo . Only 22 ammo i have seen is the winchester super x retro box stuff priced at $ 44 .00
I have 4 Walmarts within 5 miles from my house. I stopped going to the sporting section. I only shop there for two items Hormels thick cut bacon and Northlands Cranberry juice which my wife's urologist recommend to my wife for kidney stones and urinary tract infections.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Our closest Wall Mart is about 35 miles away and they have never had firearms but did have ammo. Now if you want expensive 22 or shotgun ammo then you are good. The saving grace for us is they put in a Runnings just down the street and they do have guns, ammo and reloading supplies. Not always well stocked but are looking better as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
There are 3 Wally Marts in Yuma. The closest to me had the Savage At One for a couple of weeks until I finally bought it. There were a few shotguns plus 4 rifles in the rack but nothing on the ammo shelves

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Our closest Walmart is 20 miles away in Sebring, FL. The next closest is about 5 miles further North in Avon Park, FL. We usually go the extra distance because it is a much larger store with a much larger parking lot.
Since the Covid-Era, Walmart has a home shopping service where you order everything you want on their Web App. They tell you when it will be available for pick-up, usually within 24 hrs. You go to the store. They have numbered parking spaces for the pick-up's. On your way or when you get to the store you call the number & tell them the space number & the color of your vehicle. Usually within 5 min & never longer than 15 min, they bring everything out & load it in your trunk, back seat or truck bed. There is no charge for this service & no tipping. If they find they didn't have a product you ordered, they will substitute it with another brand, usually a more expensive one but at no additional charge. If you ordered, lets say for example, a 5-lb bag of a certain brand of sugar & they are out of it, & they have another similar brand that only comes in 4-lb bags, they will give you 2- of the 4- lb bags for the price of one. We have found that their produce was even better than what they have on display in the store. In the rare event they give you something you didn't order or are not satisfied with their substitution, they immediately take it off the bill with no returning the unwanted or unsatisfactory items. All the delivery personnel wear masks & are efficient & polite. Since we have been using this service, we have become more receptive of Walmart as a Company that cares about its customers & its Community. It has changed my whole opinion of them as our go-to shopping place. Other chain stores offer similar service but charge extra for it & don't offer substitutions.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts