The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,948 Posts
Couldn't tell you what's in our local wal-mart.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I never considered Walmart to be a decent source for anything firearms related. Their sporting goods section is never staffed. I've been in Walmart stores in many different states, and it's the same story wherever you go.
Fishing tackle is a different story. Typically, they are well stocked with gear a good price. Those stores near the Atlantic ocean are particularly well stocked with saltwater stuff. Still no one around to help, but generally they aren't needed for that sort of purchase.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Our Wally World usually has 5+ .22 rifles. Around 8-10 centerfire rifles and 10-15 shotguns. They've been there forever. The ammo shelves beneath the gun racks are full of overpriced Winchester Super X .22 shells in the yellow boxes ($44) and 12 gauge shotshells for $29.95 on the target loads and around $20 + for a 25 round box of lead hunting loads. I did see one box of .308 Winchester ammo for $39.95. Evidently Walmart's suppliers are jacking up the prices, they USED to be reasonable. No more.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Our Wally World usually has 5+ .22 rifles. Around 8-10 centerfire rifles and 10-15 shotguns. They've been there forever. The ammo shelves beneath the gun racks are full of overpriced Winchester Super X .22 shells in the yellow boxes ($44) and 12 gauge shotshells for $29.95 on the target loads and around $20 + for a 25 round box of lead hunting loads. I did see one box of .308 Winchester ammo for $39.95. Evidently Walmart's suppliers are jacking up the prices, they USED to be reasonable. No more.
It’s not the suppliers. Wal marts have always had a great deal of difference from store to store. 25 + years ago the Wal Mart by the Huey P long bridge just outside New Orleans had a good selection of M1As, bought a National Match for $1300. Agonized over it or one of the Super Matches they had in stock for $200 more. It seems the manager of sporting goods in that location at that time was into guns.
My local Walmart these days has 308 pretty regularly in the low $20 range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 years ago I was at one I had never been in, they had a savage axis 243 win marked clearance $49. I had the clerk to check the price and it rang up the same so I bought it. Got home and discovered there was a $50 rebate on it and got it after a few months of waiting, so I paid $5 in tax for it

·
Registered
982 Posts
Only 22 ammo i have seen is the winchester super x retro box stuff priced at $ 44 .00
The pile of that Winchester .22 ammo seems to keep growing at the Wally World closest to me. Meanwhile the pile of Federal Automatch on the shelf above the Winchesters tends to "yo-yo".

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
2 years ago I was at one I had never been in, they had a savage axis 243 win marked clearance $49. I had the clerk to check the price and it rang up the same so I bought it. Got home and discovered there was a $50 rebate on it and got it after a few months of waiting, so I paid $5 in tax for it
I bought a Remington 700 adl in .223 for $79.00 and a month later I bought 2 Savage A-17's for $99.00 each. Nikon 8x40 Monarch binoculars for $39.00. You have to watch the clearance sales.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The WalMarts in the larger liberal cities in Oregon quit selling guns several years ago. They also have less and less ammo available. I gave up going to the sporting goods section.

About the only time we go to WalMart is when we need a kitchen appliance or pharmacy items.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,669 Posts
Last time I stopped in at our local Walmart, I was after .177 pellets. They were locked in a glass case! Getting someone to open the case was a bear, too, having had them paged three times in 30 minutes to get an associate to show up. Ammo, guns - forget about it. They don't even have an employee assigned to the department at this store, nor the other two stores in the area. Some kind of Super Walmart, eh? :mad:

·
12,532 Posts
Last time I stopped in at our local Walmart, I was after .177 pellets. They were locked in a glass case! Getting someone to open the case was a bear, too, having had them paged three times in 30 minutes to get an associate to show up. Ammo, guns - forget about it. They don't even have an employee assigned to the department at this store, nor the other two stores in the area. Some kind of Super Walmart, eh? :mad:
Next time, go tell automotive.

·
Premium Member
21,004 Posts
Most of the Walmarts around here sell ammo. Only rifle and shotgun loads. No pistol rounds.

·
Super Moderator
44,776 Posts
I stopped by wally mart on the way home from the range this afternoon. As usual, I had to wander down to the sporting goods department to get my weekly chuckle. There were six shotguns in the gun case and not a round of ammo to be seen, even the 7.62X51 that had been there for months was gone!!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Most of the Walmarts around here sell ammo. Only rifle and shotgun loads. No pistol rounds.
They all quit selling pistol rounds several years ago except for .22's. We have two within 30 miles and they usually have a couple of those turntable racks of rifles and shotguns. Ammo shelves are close to full but I haven't checked prices.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The town I live in in E Texas has limited shopping…. an independent grocery store and a small and totally sorry Walmart, dirty, merchandise on floor, shelves vacant, a lot less choice because the store is small comparatively. The one checker is often the employee who has gained the reputation for being the slowest moving on staff, Walmart does not send me a pay check so I do not check myself out, doing their job. I have left a cart full of goodies in the check out line and departed the store more than once Because of developing situations while trying to purchase from them. Sporting goods ? Firearm rack empty, ammo case that they moved behind the counter a few years back placing large locks on same has nothing but dust.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts