The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What I really miss is when we had a "Gander Mountain" store in my hometown. There was row after row of rifles and shotguns on racks you could pick up and look over. They were all cabled so you couldn't run off with any of them.
When Marcus Lemonis bought Gander Mtn. out it changed to "Gander Outdoors" and remained pretty much the same for a short while. Then the store in my hometown closed entirely. Another "Gander Outdoors" south of me about 60 miles away continued to do business as usual. The last handgun I've bought I purchased there just over a year ago. Now the store has gotten rid of everything except campers and camping accessories and supplies and nothing else. It's a "Camping World" now. Marcus Lemonis owns "Camping World".
We have a store in my hometown called "Runnings".It just opened in October. I was there yesterday and it is well supplied with guns in cabinets behind a counter. You can't fondle anything unless you know what you are looking for and have a clerk take it out and let you look at it if they have it. It's tough to tell what they have as there is a fair distance between the counter and the cabinets behind them. It was busy though yesterday. Two clerks were making out 4473 forms when I was there and another clerk was doing some sort of inventory. There were a few shoppers milling about. Not much in stock for ammo. Some off brand stuff and a few boxes of Winchester 6.5 Creedmore ammo was about it. They did have a pretty good display of reloading equipment, targets and hunting gear. No powder as they haven't gotten their license yet and of course no primers. If things get somewhere back to the good old days there might be some hope for this store. Only time will tell.
We have a "Dick's Sporting Goods" store in town but I haven't darkened their doorway since December of 2012 and I won't ever again. Two faced ownership IMO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I dealt with "Gander Mountain" long before they had retail stores and were mail order only. When they had retail stores they had a good line of clothing and often had great sales on out of season products. Their stores were a sportsman's paradise.

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,924 Posts
Our Walmart know longer has one bullet or shell let alone a bb gun or real gun. The locked cases now have stealable camping gear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I wonder if part of the problem is the lack of available inventory and the logistics involved in securing it? I have a friend who owns a gun shop who special ordered a Weatherby rifle 11 months ago and received it yesterday.
Maybe it's not worth the space the guns and ammo take up, then have to sell at a competitive price and hire help to man the displays.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I went to Walmart this morning early and the only centerfire ammo they had was 350 Legend. Looked like 25 + boxes of the stuff. The rest was the $44 boxes of Winchester super x .22 rimfire and shotshells. Some new o/u shotguns were added the the gun selection. The one box of $39 .308 was gone. If I didn't need the exercise, I'd skip the Sporting goods dept. that has Claude Rains managing it.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
We had a Gander Mtn in Huntsville. Their firearms were overpriced. I was wanting a Savage Mark II. I went down the street about a mile and bought 2 at an LGS and saved over $100.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
We had a Gander Mtn in Huntsville. Their firearms were overpriced. I was wanting a Savage Mark II. I went down the street about a mile and bought 2 at an LGS and saved over $100.
Are you saying they were over $50 more or that you were able to by two for over $100 less than the price of one at Gander MT? :oops:

·
GUNZILLA
8,368 Posts
Today on the way home from the doctor I stopped at a Walmart I had not set foot in years. To my surprise they had rifles and shotguns not a lot but they had them. Also they had about 12 boxes of 22 lr 300 round count for 40 bucks the Winchester center X something. Never have like 22lr in winchester so did not buy any. They had 350 legend and 7.62 X 51 for the same price as the 22lr.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I go to Walmart for 2 reasons, to stock up every six months or so on 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 for our vehicles, and in the spring when I am getting garden plants. Thats it. I dont even look in their sporting goods section after they became "Woke" and anti-gun.

Reactions: joe45c and tedwitt

·
12,532 Posts
I go to Walmart for 2 reasons, to stock up every six months or so on 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 for our vehicles, and in the spring when I am getting garden plants. Thats it. I dont even look in their sporting goods section after they became "Woke" and anti-gun.
They sux.

·
Super Moderator
44,777 Posts
You want to talk about disappointment, I have been to wally world two times already today. I mentioned in that coffee pot thread about buying an ONN TV over there on Friday and it died Saturday night. I took it back this morning and got an LG in exchange. Got it home and got it all hooked and and the thing had lines all over the screen so I took it back and got my third TV, it is also an LG and this one looks good.

·
Super Moderator
44,777 Posts
MAN O MAN - you want to discuss additional disappointment. Take a guess!!!!!!!

Yep, the third TV that I thought was working fine, ain't! I was watching TV a little while ago and the screen went dark. Still got sound - no picture.

I went over there again and got my FOURTH TV of the day. If this one (VIZIO) doesn't work, tomorrow I will take it back for a cash refund and go over to Best Buy / NOT wally mart and try once again.

·
12,532 Posts

Yep, the third TV that I thought was working fine, ain't! I was watching TV a little while ago and the screen went dark. Still got sound - no picture.

I went over there again and got my FOURTH TV of the day. If this one (VIZIO) doesn't work, tomorrow I will take it back for a cash refund and go over to Best Buy / NOT wally mart and try once again.
My picture went out last week, I reset my directv and it works now. Opened the little door and pushed the reset button.

·
Super Moderator
44,777 Posts
I tried everything - reset the TV - reset Wifi - reset Directv - changed HDMI cables. The problem with the third one was inside the TV itself since the built-in crap (hulu, Prime TV, LG Channel, and all the rest) could not be seen because the menu could not be seen. Hoping that this Vizio will take care of the problem, I even said a prayer over this one!

·
Registered
6,818 Posts

You might want to put some sort of serge protection between the tv and the wall outlet. All of a sudden all your TVs are all going south :unsure:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I might have bought the last Bushmaster that WallyWorld sold. I got it on sale about 6 years ago, and also managed to buy a can of 62 grain FMJ ammo on sale, too. After that the Falcon Colorado store petered off. First it was no AR style, then no large caliber hunting rifles, then only shotguns and .22s - then nothing at all. They do still sell a little shotgun ammo, but very little at that.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts