Walter PPK

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by L A newbe, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

My personal CCW pistol is a Walther PPK in .380. As others have said, a .380 is a good starting point - I wouldn't go smaller.

A couple of things I like about my PPK for conceal carry:
    It is small, compact and fairly light in weight;
    Mine is stainless steel, so maintenance is less than a blued steel pistol;
    The design of the double action and the 'de-cocker' feature are great;
    It has a 'loaded chamber' indicator that is easy to see and use;
    The safety completely locks up the pistol until released;
    It has an exposed hammer that you can manually cock for the first shot, or with the PPKs 'double action' feature - just pull the trigger until it fires.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a 'slide release'. The slide stays open after the last round is fired, but you have to pull the slide slightly rearward to let it reload a fresh magazine. That requires 2 hands.

My PPK is very easy to shoot. I don't find it 'snappy' at all in .380. I have 5 mags for mine - and all have the 'extended mag base' for a surer grip.

I've never owned a Bersa - but 2 people I know who have hated them and traded them off as quick as they could. That was more than 10 years ago - and both were guys I used to work with - so maybe the issue was with the early Bersas?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    carver likes this.
  2. ShortRound45

ShortRound45 New Member

3. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

I have a Bersa and also a PPK and PP in 7.65mm, the PPK was designed around the .32 cartridge and are a dream to shoot. Add the .380 to the PPK and you have a relatively heavy pistol that is easily concealed and is going to be a pain to shoot. My Bersa on the other hand is much lighter, about the same size as the PPK and rarely will shoot a magazine full of ammo without malfunctions, and that is after the “ factory” gunsmith they had me send it to in Texas worked it over.
    I carry a Sig P 238 or 938 most of the time, a Kimber Micro once in awhile as well as a Shield, all dependable pistols that I trust will not let me down in an emergency.

carver likes this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Interesting about the Bersa. Mine is probably close to 10 years old and it's never had a FTF BUT, all I shoot is FMJ. My "problem" with the Bersa is the rear sight blade won't stay in the slot. I've lost two and they've been unavailable for some time. Consequently I have gone to the CZ-83 and -82 in 380 and 9mm Mak. Absolutely zero complaints with either of them. They're heavier than either the Bersa or Walther but they also hold 12 rounds for whatever that's worth.

I'd love to have a PPk, an old one but, they're more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

carver likes this.
  5. Ibmikey99$

Sharps, I too love the CZ 82, have four of them that I Ceracoated ( one was blasted and flat blued) and they shoot great. I obtained beautiful walnut grips from Grips4U which really highlight the pistol. I do not carry them as I have the smaller lighter pistols for carry. FMJ is the normal round I carry and shoot in all of my autos.

sharps4590 and carver like this.
  6. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

Have her find a gun that fits her hand. If she wants a safety on it make sure she has a safety on it. If she wants it in pink, or blue or purple make sure she has some color on it. If she can test fire them then get her up and shooting as many as she can. Don't pick out a gun for your wife, help your wife pick out a gun for herself.

7. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

I bought a Walther (not Walter) for my wife for Christmas. But it's a PPK/S .22. She loves it and it fits her conditions. Conditions are pain in her shooting had and never having shot more than one round from a 9mm. The recoil was her problem with the 9 mm.The gun is very nice and well made (Germany). The only draw back is the double action side is 17#! She just cocks the hammer on the first round.

8. Ibmikey99$

I too have one of the new Walther PPKs pistols in .22 Lr, given to me by a friend. I believe it is actually made by Umarex, certainly it is not a machined steel pistol as the .22 Walther of day’s gone by. My pistol shoots ok but is not normal Walther PPK quality with its “mystery metal” and flat ugly finish that one would want to show off to his friends.

9. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

That's not the model I have. Mine is polished silver looking. Very sweet gun made in Germany.

10. fisherman346

fisherman346 New Member

Howdy, As has been said let your wife choose some ones life may depend on it. On to say I have a PPK/S by S&W nice looking gun at 22 oz. empty. but takes some effort to pull the slide, some aftermarket companies make different size slide springs for these for those wanting to change the pull or rebuild. Fairly good quality and accuracy. But S&W quit making them a couple of years back and now another company in U.S.A. makes them under licence. as with all guns of this type there may be quality issues of some sort. As in another reply go to the range and rent the model you might like to buy and run it a bit , but that might be easier said than done most ranges are limited on their rentals.