The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guy i work with said he is buying walther 380 but the guy told him he could also shoot 9mm out of it, is that true?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
guy i work with said he is buying walther 380 but the guy told him he could also shoot 9mm out of it, is that true?
It wouldn't even chamber Beth.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
The 380 was designed from the 9mm. It is basically a cut down 9mm. But you can not chamber a 9mm in a 380 gun.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Caliber confusion is such fun.

When MOST people say "9mm", they mean 9x19, also known as 9mm Luger, also known as 9mm Parabellum.

But, 9mm is just the diameter of the bullet. Just like your 38 is "38 Special", but there is also 38 Super, 38 S&W, 38 Long Colt, 38 Short Colt, etc. etc., there is 9x17mm, 9x18mm, 9x19mm, 9x21mm, 9x23mm, etc. etc.

380, which is the round the PPK is chambered in, is also known in Europe as 9x18mm and 9mm Browning Short.

So it is true the 380 will shoot 9mm. Just not 9mm Luger.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Actually, that 380 should be marked on the side as being chambered in 9m/m K. That's 9mm Kurz, which is German for 9mm Short.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Technically, yes, its a short 9mm. But as you say its very confusing to say it will shoot a 9mm when the entire world thinks 9mm means 9mm luger. Even a gun shop should not say such things, as it causes this kind of discussion.

·
Super Moderator
41,403 Posts
If the guy at the gun shop told him that he could also shoot 9mm out of it, then the guy at the gun shop is an idiot and should be a shoe salesman instead of what he is doing!!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Well yes that is one opinion, but we really don't know the whole conversation, if the gun shop said 9MM Short, how is that wrong? , and the the gun shop might have said 9MM short or 380. So it is hard to say if the gun shop guy is really an idiot or the buyer was:)

·
Super Moderator
41,403 Posts
Well yes that is one opinion, but we really don't know the whole conversation, if the gun shop said 9MM Short, how is that wrong? , and the the gun shop might have said 9MM short or 380. So it is hard to say if the gun shop guy is really an idiot or the buyer was:)
If you were to go to the gun store to buy some .380 ammo, would you ask for 9mm short? I don't think so, so why would a gun shop employee tell someone a .380 will shoot 9mm short. For that matter, would YOU tell someone that a Walther .380 will shoot 9mm short. I stand by my statement, the man is an idiot, IF he did say that.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
It is possible that the gunshop guy said that it was 380, and then showing a box of S&B 380, said it "would also shoot 9mm short", or maybe "9mm short is the same stuff", or something like that.

Or maybe a box of Prvi

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
If the gun shop owner said he could shoot 9mm if he used 9X18 then nothing wrong was said to begin with.....

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Beth didn't start anything really - she just asked an honest question because she wanted to know the answer. That is the main function of this forum for people and why we are all here :)
I think everyone has definitely put enough info out here for Beth quite well and now she knows the answer to her question :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts