The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

It’s been awhile since I was on the forum but I’m facing a bit of a dilemma. I’m in the market for a new .22lr plinking gun but I’m stuck making the final decision. I’m down to two contenders as of right now.

My wife has a Walther/Colt Gold Cup Trophy which is an amazing 1911 styled .22 semi auto. We both love shooting it and sometimes I forget it’s HER gun. :D That thing is crazy accurate and has eaten every type of ammo we have fed it. Plus I’ve wanted a 1911 for several years now. Although, I’d rather have one in 9mm.

Also on this list is the Ruger Mark IV Target version. I’ve been a Ruger fan for many years now. My mother is currently in possession of my grandfather’s Mark I. Someday that one will be passed on to me. But the newer Mark IV’s are something to behold. That takedown is so much simpler than the earlier Marks and there is an amazing variety of options now. I really like the “race gun” looks of the Lite versions but not crazy about the poly frame on them. As such I’ve decided on the Target version with the 5.5” barrel.

I have no doubt I would be happy with either gun but in the end there can only be one. If faced with these two options, which would you go for?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
All else being equal, which one has the best aftermarket support? That is the one I would choose.
However, I don't think you will go wrong with either of them. Good luck choosing!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
The only negative the Ruger MKs brought to the table was the Chinese puzzle aspect of reassembly. The MKIV addressed that issue. To me its a no brainer accurate, reliable and tuff, Ruger.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,852 Posts
Where did you find a case hardened version? :eek: That is beautiful!
That came from Turnbull Restoration. They have quite a collection, and they do custom work, as well. You might also check with our own goofy (aka Mike) as he does awesome restoration work, as well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That came from Turnbull Restoration. They have quite a collection, and they do custom work, as well. You might also check with our own goofy (aka Mike) as he does awesome restoration work, as well.
Turnbull has some beautiful guns but those babies are way out of my price range. Something to add to my wish list! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
The MkIV is my choice of the two, BUT it needs trigger work before it'll perform on par with the Gold Cup you've been shooting, so you might consider factoring that into the cost.
20200327_200926.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Neither. A high standard trophy.
Hey all.

It’s been awhile since I was on the forum but I’m facing a bit of a dilemma. I’m in the market for a new .22lr plinking gun but I’m stuck making the final decision. I’m down to two contenders as of right now.

My wife has a Walther/Colt Gold Cup Trophy which is an amazing 1911 styled .22 semi auto. We both love shooting it and sometimes I forget it’s HER gun. :D That thing is crazy accurate and has eaten every type of ammo we have fed it. Plus I’ve wanted a 1911 for several years now. Although, I’d rather have one in 9mm.

Also on this list is the Ruger Mark IV Target version. I’ve been a Ruger fan for many years now. My mother is currently in possession of my grandfather’s Mark I. Someday that one will be passed on to me. But the newer Mark IV’s are something to behold. That takedown is so much simpler than the earlier Marks and there is an amazing variety of options now. I really like the “race gun” looks of the Lite versions but not crazy about the poly frame on them. As such I’ve decided on the Target version with the 5.5” barrel.

I have no doubt I would be happy with either gun but in the end there can only be one. If faced with these two options, which would you go for?

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
I'm with Jolson but it would be a Sport King.

Of the two you mentioned...I'd go with the 1911 just because.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
i would go with a s and w victory. get the one with the barrel that is threaded on the end. i put the compensator on mine, after market target trigger. and the loop on the back for easy cocking. my son has one of the rugers mentioned here but says he wishes he would have gotten a s and w victory.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would go with a s and w victory. get the one with the barrel that is threaded on the end. i put the compensator on mine, after market target trigger. and the loop on the back for easy cocking. my son has one of the rugers mentioned here but says he wishes he would have gotten a s and w victory.
S&W and I aren’t speaking to each other. Don’t know what it is about them but I’ve never found one I could shoot well. Not that they are bad guns but S&W guns seem to be my Eleanor.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
S&W and I aren’t speaking to each other. Don’t know what it is about them but I’ve never found one I could shoot well. Not that they are bad guns but S&W guns seem to be my Eleanor.
I love a Smith revolver, never cared for their automatics.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about the Browning Buckmark?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
What about the Browning Buckmark?
Nothing against Brownings but prefer the Ruger. It's not quite as refined but does a fine job. I find the MKs easy to shoot and have never shot one that wasn't more capable than me. Of course some of my earliest memories are dad showing me how to shoot his old standard, one round in the magazine till I got a bit of experience. That may somewhat influence my preference;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing against Brownings but prefer the Ruger. It's not quite as refined but does a fine job. I find the MKs easy to shoot and have never shot one that wasn't more capable than me. Of course some of my earliest memories are dad showing me how to shoot his old standard, one round in the magazine till I got a bit of experience. That may somewhat influence my preference;)
I really like the Ruger’s look better and I’m somewhat of a Ruger fan but it seems like the Buckmark has the better trigger.

Reactions: rawright54

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey all.

Get the 1911. My mkiv shoots everything you run through it but it's accuracy is not impressive. What's not to like about a 1911?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Get the 1911. My mkiv shoots everything you run through it but it's accuracy is not impressive. What's not to like about a 1911?
The construction of the MKs is conducive to consistent lock up and sight alignment. A 1911 can be very accurate but usually it needs a little help getting there. The MK is an inherently accurate platform. I'm sure the weak link in accuracy in either pistol will be the shooter. I certainly wouldn't choose a 1911 over the MK based on accuracy. The MK holds its own. What MK do you have?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts