The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i recently received this Walther p38 I was wondering if anyone knows when it was made and what it is worth I know absolutely nothing about this model of firearm thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Production of the alloy framed P38 - designated Model P1 by the West German military - began in '63. The hexagonal strengthening crosspiece above the trigger guard was adopted in June '75. The importer, Interarms - as stamped on the slide, has been out of business since the '90s. Hope that info's of some assistance.

Edit: Not too many years ago I purchased an ex-German military P1 in near mint condition for $400. Values have undoubtedly increased since then, but it should give you a starting point.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
You have a Post-War commercial pistol. Generally, they are not quite as valuable as a War-Time model. There are a few mechanical differences between your pistol and the old original P38s, the most significant is the design/shape of the firing pin and related parts and slide modifications for the new parts.

If I were looking for current value or selling price, I'd go to one of the on-line auction sites and watch for these as they come up. An original would go for$750 and up, depending on condition. Your pistol looks to be in very good condition, and I'd expect it to be evaluated at about 80% of the price of brand new, but to my understanding Walther has discontinued production of these.

Just FWIW, German production ran from 1939 until the war ended 1945. The new West German Army adopted a very similar pistol (P-1) in the early 1960s and used it thru until about 1980 or so. The P-1 had an aluminum slide and the new style firing pin, but the frame, barrel, mag, etc. are all interchangeable with the originals. I believe that in the early 1970s Walther began to produce the P-38 again for commercial sales/export. I can only guess at the end date, but I'm thinking sometime in the 1980s.

·
Super Moderator
39,088 Posts
I like the aftermarket wooden grips on it, but they will detract from any collector value since neither the P-1 nor the P-38 had them.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
Evil Bay has them for around $50.00. Just look for Walther P-38 grips. I believe you'll want the brown ones. That's the ones I got for WWII cyq P-38.

·
Super Moderator
39,088 Posts
Walther P1 Left.JPG

This a Walther P-1 which was issued to the German Police after WWII. I would venture a guess that 99% of the grips were made of black plastic. I need to back up, I just read in my Standard Catalog of Firearms that a few of the early P-38 commercial pistols DID have checkered wooden grips on them so it is a possibility that you have one of those. My book has no pictures of any P-38s or P-1 in it.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
AHh..you're right George. Mine is WWII vintage and I forgot the later ones had black grips. evil bay has them as well. Mine the same or very similar wood grips when I horse traded for it.

Reactions: gdmoody

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
I'd venture to say that since the OP's Walther is a commercial import, and not ex-military or police surplus, Interarms chose to dress them up a bit with the checkered wooden grips.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
I don't know where those grips come from nm. As I mentioned, mine was made during the war and it had them. Some previous owner put them on. The originals were bakelite. Did they break or he just like the wood? I don't know but I took them off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I removed the grips today and there is “61” marked on the back of them? Also had a chance to fire the gun today i was shocked how smooth it was I have never fired one these before

1 - 11 of 11 Posts