The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a Walther PPK 7.65 from my father who fought in the ETO in WW II. He said that he took if from a German officer. The Serial No is 188422 W. It also has a strange marking on the side and the slide. It looks like a small crown over a capital "N". It was fired only once that I know of back in the fifties. It appears to be in excellent condition with no cracks on the plastic grip. The blueing is very good. Can you tell me the history of this gun and what it might be worth and where or how I can sell it?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Made in 1938, The crown over an N is the standard German proof mark until 1941 when it became a Eagle over an N. With no other markings it is most likely a commercial model. Not saying a German officer wasn't carrying it, it just wasn't military issue. Some times war time stories get elaborated, a bunch. really need a picture before anyone can make any type of valuation. The W suffix wasn't a common suffix, only used on approx 10,000 firearms. There may may be other significant factors involved, but that info is beyond my knowledge.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Your late father's story is very interesting and very important to you - so you should keep the gun for its sentimental value. But, a cold-hearted gun collector, putting a price tag on the gun, will follow the dictum, "buy the gun, not the story."

When guns were "liberated" by army GIs from Germans, the GI needed to get a permit signed by a designated officer to allow the gun to be taken back to the U.S. Many such permits were routinely issued (almost rubber stamped), are still extant, and are associated with the original weapon. You might check whether such a paper is among your father's effects. Not to say, of course, thousands of such collectibles didn't come back to the U.S. at the bottom of a duffle bag, without paperwork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts