The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need step by step help installing an oversized trigger guard on my AR-15

I've looked at it and I'm concerned that I would screw-up the lower portion of the frame .

If you could "talk" me through this I'd really appreciate it .....

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
So your worried about breaking off the ears on the lower when driving out the roll pin. Its not that bad. Get a block of wood about 3/4 in thick. Drill a 3/16 hole in the corner. This will serve as a place for the pin to go when you drive it out. Place the block of wood under the ear of the lower with the hole under the roll pin. Don't matter which way you go. using a punch of the same size as the pin, start tapping. No major swings but they do take a good hit. once it frees from the top ear, it frees up rather easy. Now the other side of the guard is held in by a spring loaded pin, just push in on the pin and pull the guard out. Install is opposite of removal. Put the spring loaded end in first. if its a magpul guard then they use a set screw. Then set the roll pin side, line up the holes. Do not try to start the roll pin in the ear ahead of time w/o the trigger guard and block supporting it. Line everything up then start the roll pin. Go a little at a time bc sometimes the triggerguard will shift and you'll miss the hole. Once you know the pin is going through the trigger guard properly, keep tapping till it gets to the other ear. Then double check you alignment, this is were people break them off the most. If the pin is not lined up to the hole in the ear and your wacking on the roll pin, it will break it off. If its still aligned (it should be) then keep tapping till its flush.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K. ..... Thanks Folks !
You make it sound do-able .... I gonna' give it a try .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts