Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Wanting Info on Inherited firearm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Frank Boni, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Frank Boni

Frank Boni New Member

Received an old firearm from a deceased family member. I think it is a Iver Johnson 32 caliber, top break, hammer, 5-shot, auto-ejectors, with a serial number 204120 on the bottom of the hand grip. I removed the handle on the left side of the hand grip, serial number 204120 is shown, with no letter. Please let me know any details about the firearm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

You have an Secret Service Special manufactured by the Meriden Arms Co, not Iver Johnson. The scroll like front sight and stamping on the side of the barrel confirm this.

Fred Biffar Co, who was a wholesaler in Chicago, and sold guns under the name "Secret Service Special" in the early 1900's. Meriden's were considered medium quality guns, so Fred Biffar contracted with Iver Johnson to make them as well. There were also some Spanish manufactures as well.

This is similar to a Iver Johnson 2nd Model, which is a black powder frame gun; however, since it is a Meriden, I am not sure if it would be a black powder gun. I would probably not try to fire modern smokeless ammunition thru it.

GhostGunner and Hawg like this.