The Firearms Forum banner

Wanting to fix my dad's A-5

685 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MadScotsMan 
#1 ·
He has a Browning A-5 12ga that is verrrrry old and sentimental to him, however it does not work. It does not strike the primers, he's certain the firing pin is the issues... well looking around online, I see "used" a-5 firing pins for for $60. Brand new ones go for $130. :eek:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/475010.htm

I find them on other websites but say discontinued product or backorder...

Any way to find this cheaper? Would a gunsmith be able to machine one?

#2 ·
The bad news to you question is no and no.

First though, before you commit to buy any parts you must take it apart. You need to see with your own eyes how it functions and how it goes back together. So, get it on a workbench, have someone use a video camera and video what you do to take it apart. Keep all screws and parts in a neat order next to the Browning. This way, when you identify the part you need you will see how you took it apart and be able to put it back together with the new part. Find the bad part before you buy any replacements. Your problem could simply be a spring.

If you are very confident with your skills at disassembling firearms and putting them back together, forget the video and simply get a break apart diagram from the net for free. Look up on the internet the basic breakdown procedure and go from there. This is what I did to repair an old .38 special 6 shooter that I bought non functioning. The parts cost me $9. Now it works perfectly and is our bedside pistol.

As far as getting whatever part you need, well, you just have to bite the bullet and pay up if you find it. I do know another place that may be cheaper if they have the part you need, but, you really need to take it apart to find out what you need first.

#3 ·
The bad news to you question is no and no.

First though, before you commit to buy any parts you must take it apart. You need to see with your own eyes how it functions and how it goes back together. So, get it on a workbench, have someone use a video camera and video what you do to take it apart. Keep all screws and parts in a neat order next to the Browning. This way, when you identify the part you need you will see how you took it apart and be able to put it back together with the new part. Find the bad part before you buy any replacements. Your problem could simply be a spring.

If you are very confident with your skills at disassembling firearms and putting them back together, forget the video and simply get a break apart diagram from the net for free. Look up on the internet the basic breakdown procedure and go from there. This is what I did to repair an old .38 special 6 shooter that I bought non functioning. The parts cost me $9. Now it works perfectly and is our bedside pistol.

As far as getting whatever part you need, well, you just have to bite the bullet and pay up if you find it. I do know another place that may be cheaper if they have the part you need, but, you really need to take it apart to find out what you need first.
Thanks! My dad helped me replace a dented firing pin in my Marlin 60, which involved tapping out some small pins... The .22 was pretty simple, the A5 has a lot more to it... but he has disassembled it and cleaned everything. We'll keep at it, looking for an obvious problem
Thanks

#5 ·
THis weapon is basically the same as a Remington Model 11 or a Savage 745. I recently replaced the charging handle on a 1921 circa Model 11 with one from an A5. There are a few minor differences between these three, the internals are, for the most part, interchangable. The point being, if you need A5 parts, there are alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.